Watch Orange Is The New Black Season 2 with Mumsnet: Join in the discussion and win a £250 John Lewis voucher

(210 Posts)
AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Jun-14 17:47:35

Back in December, Mumsnetters got stuck into season 1 of Netflix original series Orange is the New Black, starring Taylor Schilling and Jason Biggs. After a lot of exciting discussion and anticipation on the thread, we can reveal that our next Watch with Mumsnet will be Orange is the New Black season 2, available to watch only on Netflix.

"I’m scared that I’m not myself in here and I’m scared that I am."

Based on the acclaimed memoir of the same name, the series follows Brooklynite Piper Chapman, who is sentenced to 15 months in prison for a crime she committed 10 years ago.

The show tracks Piper’s journey as she adapts to her new life and tries to stay out of trouble. Despite her best efforts to fit in, things don’t quite go according to plan and Piper gets mixed up in all sorts of sticky situations, from her many social blunders with fellow inmates, to run-ins with the corrupt prison guards, as well as an expected encounter from her past.

Along the way we are introduced to the hilarious cast of characters, from one of the most impressive (almost) all-female ensembles in recent years. As Piper struggles to adjust to her new reality, she finds unexpected laughter, tears, conflict and camaraderie amidst an eccentric and outspoken group of inmates.

Now back for a new season, we can’t wait to see what’s in store of the inmates of Litchfield Prison. Here’s what Mumsnetters said about the first series:

•“I loved this! I decided to watch it a couple of weeks ago and ended up watching the whole series in two days, I can't wait for series two.”

•“When my husband told me about this epic series, I was nonplussed. However, when I saw that it was from a seemingly sane and intelligent woman's perspective, my interest definitely changed. My parents brought me up to appreciate strong female (and male) characters and 'Orange is the new Black' has these aplenty.”

•“It is very addictive, I watched them all in about 2 weeks and now I'm gagging for more. Can't wait to see what happens in the next series after that ending”

We’d love to find out what you think of the new series, and what your favourite moments have been so far. Watch and join in the discussion on this thread, and you’ll be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 John Lewis voucher.

You can watch the whole series instantly on Netflix here, and if you subscribe to Netflix now, you get the first month free. Whether you’ve seen the first series or you’re new to Orange is the New Black, we’d love to hear your thoughts. Don’t forget, you can also join the conversation on Twitter now using the hashtag #OITNB

Note on spoilers: We want to hear your thoughts on everything, from plot twists to season finales and more - but if you’re talking about anything that could reveal important plot details then please put Spoiler at the beginning of your post to warn others who may not have seen it.

By the way, you can also get the new OITNB app on iTunes and the Google Store and you could give your photos an OITNB makeover.

Happy Watching,
MNHQ x

Watch with Mumsnet is sponsored by Netflix.

Click here to return to the Netflix hub

Terms and Conditions:

•Should this product be unavailable at the time of purchase for the winner, Unmissable (The Prize Company) reserve the right to substitute with an alternative of equal or greater value.

•Specifications are subject to change from the manufacturer without notice.

•All prizes will be delivered to the winner within 28 working days from the date of our initial correspondence with them

foolishpeach Fri 06-Jun-14 18:18:34

I think this is the thread for me. I was planning to start season 2 tonight - DH is out so I can binge-watch as many episodes as I like. grin

sj73 Fri 06-Jun-14 18:19:47

I'm starting it tonight and debating whether to snack or binge on it.

MrsAlexVause Fri 06-Jun-14 18:23:36

I'm halfway through! I have no life.

sj73 Fri 06-Jun-14 18:45:50

WHAT??? I was thinking this morning if there was anyone out there who had finished it yet! I'm guessing it was good then?

MrsAlexVause Fri 06-Jun-14 18:49:44

It's amazing. Only 6 episodes in but they're all strong ones.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 06-Jun-14 18:53:21

I'm just about finished season one, so straight on to two. I'm in!

ineedausername Fri 06-Jun-14 19:53:57

I have been waiting ages for season 2! binge watched season one, so now the kids are in bed and i've just started season 2 smile

sj73 Fri 06-Jun-14 20:07:57

Id forgotten how weak piper is. Don't know if its the character or the actress but she bugs me. The others are so brilliant.

NovemberAli Fri 06-Jun-14 20:13:46

Ooh excellent! Marking my place, will start to watch tomorrow night when DP at work, Season 1 helped me through the long night feeding sessions with DS, a few months down the track I'll hopefully be a bit more awake for this season!

erin99 Fri 06-Jun-14 20:22:23

Fabulous! Here at last. My very favourite thing on Netflix...

revealall Fri 06-Jun-14 20:24:58

I think the first episodes were good but it's got samey quickly for me. It's all a bit predictable character wise - there's noticeably one of each type character to cover the spectrum of PC acceptability.
I liked Piper but she's too " sex in the city" rather than "medium" as a lead.
The best bits are the graphic sex! It adds an edge and it's not often you hear a frank discussion about fisting in a mainstream drama.

newsecretidentity Fri 06-Jun-14 20:31:31

Woohoo! Starting tonight.

BetsyBell Fri 06-Jun-14 20:33:50

Just waiting for DH to come home with wine so we can get cracking... (on OITNB2)

andadietcoke Fri 06-Jun-14 20:38:30

I've been looking forward to tonight for weeks!

sj73 Fri 06-Jun-14 20:45:38

Ellen!

PepeLePew Fri 06-Jun-14 20:47:22

I am really looking forward to this! Dinner in the oven, dcs in bed, wine in the fridge and episode one ready to go. I'm going to ration myself so I don't end up having watched them all by 10am tomorrow morning.

But your description in the OP is a bit misleading - it's funny, for sure. Laugh out loud funny in places. But "hilarious" makes it sound like knock-about comedy whereas a lot of it it is bleak and troubling. Series one was a bit like real life, actually - humour, sadness, anger and fucked-upness all mixed in together.

MeganChips Fri 06-Jun-14 21:03:12

No, I don't like hilarious. It's witty and darkly funny.

I will be starting this in about 15 minutes and can't wait. I loved season 1, it was utterly addictive.

Am on episode 3 right now - so glad it's finally here!

<attaches backside to the sofa for the weekend>

Puringmary Fri 06-Jun-14 21:33:54

I've been counting the days. DH cooking now. Then The Binge begins.

grin

sj73 Fri 06-Jun-14 22:12:37

Darkly funny yes but there have been some hilarious scenes so far this season: the plane, the careers dress up show and the gay sauna. (and I'm only halfway through Episode 2)

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 06-Jun-14 22:23:41

Just settling down to start season 2 now. Very excited! Hope it delivers what the first season did.

TroyMcClure Fri 06-Jun-14 22:25:22

I'm saving up to an ORGY

Moogdroog Fri 06-Jun-14 22:42:26

DH has gone to bed early grin

PJs, chocolate and ep1 on right now!

TreacleMoon123 Fri 06-Jun-14 23:52:46

Settling in to watch S.2 episode 1 smile)))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now