Watch House of Cards Series 2 with Mumsnet and you could win an Xbox One (possible spoiler warning!)

(162 Posts)
AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Feb-14 16:04:30

After Mumsnetters enjoyed the first series so much, we’re excited to announce that the second series of House of Cards is the next show we’ll be watching and discussing on Watch with Mumsnet, in association with Netflix.

For those who’ve yet to succumb, award winning drama House of Cards follows cunning Congressman Francis Underwood (Kevin Spacey) on his quest for power, aided by his equally conniving wife, Claire (Robin Wright). Both Season 1 & 2 are available to watch on Netflix instantly.

Here’s what Mumsnetters have been saying about the show so far:

"Best thing I've seen for ages”

"I haven't enjoyed a series so much since The West Wing"

“ I was a bit unsure about this as I loved the original but it is amazing! I watched the whole lot in a Netflix weekend mega marathon and I highly recommend it. I really hope they put out a second series, it is quality viewing”

If you've been wondering what to watch to get you through the dreary winter months then look no further. Better yet, you can watch it on Netflix whenever you want: binge on the whole series in one go or just catch it whenever's handy. And then, of course, you can come back and join the discussion on the show with everyone else on this thread. Everyone who takes part will be entered into a draw to win an Xbox One.

Whether you’ve watched the first series, or you’re new to House of Cards, we’d love to hear your thoughts.

Happy watching,
MNHQ

Watch with Mumsnet is sponsored by Netflix.

Click here to return to the Netflix hub

Terms and Conditions:

•Should this product be unavailable at the time of purchase for the winner, Unmissable (The Prize Company) reserve the right to substitute with an alternative of equal or greater value.

•Specifications are subject to change from the manufacturer without notice.

•All prizes will be delivered to the winner within 28 working days from the date of our initial correspondence with them

Moogdroog Sat 05-Apr-14 00:21:59

Late to the party but really enjoying it. Have almost finished series 2 and only started 1 a couple of weeks ago.
What a horrible couple. She is so cold and he so ruthless. Kevin Spacey is amazing but all the acting is great. DH and I have been watching 'one more' episode every night and have been short on sleep. Brilliant!

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 18-Mar-14 17:24:14

Thanks to everyone who watched with Mumsnet and joined in the discussion about House of Cards. Congratulations to areyoutheregoditsmemargaret who has won the Xbox One. We'll be in touch by PM to let you know how to claim your prize.

We hope you join us for the next series of Watch with Mumsnet - join the discussion here.

scottishmummy Thu 13-Mar-14 22:46:56

I completed season 2,is really gripping with a lot of surprises and clever twists
Season2 characters get more nuanced,more developed the development is so interesting
It has a really cinematic quality,the acting,the scripts,it's joy to watch

akachan Thu 13-Mar-14 10:50:30

I found the first season a drag to be honest but I am loving season 2.

newsecretidentity Tue 11-Mar-14 16:31:27

Just finished. Gutted! My favourite character...

triniposse Tue 11-Mar-14 12:06:14

Loving The House of Cards!!!! Squeezing it in at the end of my busy mumsie day,
A well deserved treat for myself.... Will be reserving "house of cards" time regularly, hopefully!!

Ouuuu....., what's going to happen next? Can't wait...

kateejf Mon 10-Mar-14 14:40:28

Catching up on Netflix and loving it!

*of Russo

Thanks for the answers about Christina. I wasn't sure if it was because or Russo or just because they enjoying messing with peoples' minds. grin

newsecretidentity Sat 08-Mar-14 14:16:04

The only drawback to watching it on Netflix is that when big things happen, I want to go online and type OMFG! and watch everybody flip out at the same time.

For example, I just watched episode 11. Whoa.

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Sat 08-Mar-14 10:10:02

They wanted Christina sacked because she was a good and strong ally, they were isolating the President from all his supporters.

Yep. Claire was trying to undermine their marriage and plant seeds of doubt that would cause marital stress, lead he and Trisha to go for counselling which could then be leveraged against them, contributing to getting him ousted from office.

sarahandmallard Fri 07-Mar-14 16:08:41

Why did the Underwoods want Christina sacked from the White House?

- spoiler alert -

Frank is trying to isolate the President and rip apart his support network of advisors. He pretty much even tells you

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Thu 06-Mar-14 10:46:09

Finished now. I loved, loved, loved it. Don't want to post spoilers but so many fantastic surprises. Frank and Claire are Macbeth and Lady M, with Claire having the greatest wardrobe in the world to boot. Also want to big it up for Doug, such a creepy, twisted character. So many enemies lying in wait for them now, can't wait to see what series 3 will bring.

newsecretidentity Mon 03-Mar-14 21:38:01

Oh My God. I was watching the first episode of series 2, and shouted so loud, I can't believe the kids didn't wake! If that's how they start it, I can't imagine how they'll carry on!

TheHoneyBadger Sun 02-Mar-14 19:20:20

i'm only on season 2 desert baby - i can imagine it's stretching it by season 3.

desertbaby Sun 02-Mar-14 18:46:55

I watched the first 3 series of Damages but got bored.

desertbaby Sun 02-Mar-14 18:44:53

I binged on first series this summer with newborn baby.

I started this series and then obsessed and watched it in a week. No mean feat with a toddler and 9 month old!

Got completely confused by the actual politics - hah but loved the characterisation. Claire is truly outrageous and way steelier than I could have ever have imagined.

SPOILER ALERT: ONLY READ IF YOU HAVE FINISHED

The body guard? Meacham. Oh my word! Did not see that coming. So to speak.

Netflix: rubbish for films but the tv makes up for it

Please, if you haven't watched already, Orange is the New Black. Watch it now!

Sons of Anarchy? Thought I would hate it. Love it.
Where is series 5/6 though?

TheHoneyBadger Sun 02-Mar-14 18:22:09

ooh i get called 'honey' with this name - i like it grin

TheHoneyBadger Sun 02-Mar-14 18:21:38

put it to the TOP of the list pete - it is the reason i haven't devoured HOC yet. if you like spacey's character and dynamic i think you'll like glenn close's. i'm amazed damages was so little heard of here.

SPOILERS ABOUT SEASON 2 :

Can we discuss some of the storylines because no one in RL is watching this?

Bob mentioned this up thread but if Claire and Frank don't sleep with each other what was the Meacham thing about?

Why did the Underwoods want Christina sacked from the White House?

Seth Grayson-Is he up to something or does he just want some power?

How can the VP become President even though he wasn't elected?

IorekByrnisonsArmour Sun 02-Mar-14 17:36:52

Damages - a very good series smile

IorekByrnisonsArmour Sun 02-Mar-14 17:35:46

Watched the final 2 episodes last night shockshock

Season 2 was brilliant! Franks asides to camera (the audience) are fantastic and often creepy/scary

I really enjoyed Claire more so in this season

As a PP said, hurry up with orange is the new black!!

( I think I'll watch the finale again tomorrow without DP as he is a "chatty watcher angry) grin

Thanks Honey have added it to the list. smile

TheHoneyBadger Sun 02-Mar-14 11:28:12

have you watched damages pete? it's old but i didn't see it when it was out first and if you like dark ambiguous powerful characters and young women playing with fire you would enjoy that i reckon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now