Watch House of Cards Series 2 with Mumsnet and you could win an Xbox One (possible spoiler warning!)

(162 Posts)
AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Feb-14 16:04:30

After Mumsnetters enjoyed the first series so much, we’re excited to announce that the second series of House of Cards is the next show we’ll be watching and discussing on Watch with Mumsnet, in association with Netflix.

For those who’ve yet to succumb, award winning drama House of Cards follows cunning Congressman Francis Underwood (Kevin Spacey) on his quest for power, aided by his equally conniving wife, Claire (Robin Wright). Both Season 1 & 2 are available to watch on Netflix instantly.

Here’s what Mumsnetters have been saying about the show so far:

"Best thing I've seen for ages”

"I haven't enjoyed a series so much since The West Wing"

“ I was a bit unsure about this as I loved the original but it is amazing! I watched the whole lot in a Netflix weekend mega marathon and I highly recommend it. I really hope they put out a second series, it is quality viewing”

If you've been wondering what to watch to get you through the dreary winter months then look no further. Better yet, you can watch it on Netflix whenever you want: binge on the whole series in one go or just catch it whenever's handy. And then, of course, you can come back and join the discussion on the show with everyone else on this thread. Everyone who takes part will be entered into a draw to win an Xbox One.

Whether you’ve watched the first series, or you’re new to House of Cards, we’d love to hear your thoughts.

Happy watching,
MNHQ

Watch with Mumsnet is sponsored by Netflix.

Click here to return to the Netflix hub

Terms and Conditions:

•Should this product be unavailable at the time of purchase for the winner, Unmissable (The Prize Company) reserve the right to substitute with an alternative of equal or greater value.

•Specifications are subject to change from the manufacturer without notice.

•All prizes will be delivered to the winner within 28 working days from the date of our initial correspondence with them

Lent1l Mon 17-Feb-14 22:13:37

I'm still torn about this show. The actors are great and it is really well written, I'm just not used to watching something where I don't actually like many of the characters and don't think I'm actually supposed to as they are generally not very nice people. Really enjoying it but just find it strange not to like many of them.

katyspence Mon 17-Feb-14 22:38:42

I LOVED the first episode! Looking forward to enjoying the rest with a quiet night and a glass of wine this week!

traceyalice Mon 17-Feb-14 22:52:52

Right....am going to sign up and watch this. Been looking for a new series to watch as NOTHING on tv currently that appeals!

lessonsintightropes Tue 18-Feb-14 00:47:30

Boxsetted the entire series this weekend grin it was amazing, and I love Claire Underwood's Lady Macbeth style character. Tell me when we're allowed to discuss the whole thing without spoiler warnings!

joey99 Tue 18-Feb-14 05:43:37

I watched 1st 2 episodes of series 2 last night and wow! Straight in there with a high drama episode 1 to get you re- hooked. I love the characters and the acting is superb. I'm going to try and watch 2 episodes a night - can't wait for tonight!

ScienceRocks Tue 18-Feb-14 10:06:03

I'm with others on series 2 - episode 1 had me shock. Every bit as compelling as series 1 (I'm up to episode 5) and fantastic to be able to gorge and watch episode after episode and not wait a week each time!

PatriciaHolm Tue 18-Feb-14 11:08:46

Lent, I'm the same. I want to like it, and on a dispassionate level can see how fabulous the stars are (Robin Wright is spectacular) but I don't like or empathise with any of them which makes it hard to maintain the interest. The first ep didn't surprise me as much as it seems to have shocked American viewers as it obviously mirrors very much what happened in the original UK series, though I think it diverges more from here...

dotty2 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:19:15

Our broadband stopped working on Feb 14th - what terrible timing. I am enjoying it so far (only done 2 episodes) but can't help thinking that the scheming is slightly more cartoon-evil-villain-ish than in the first series.

wittymacs Tue 18-Feb-14 11:33:07

I haven't watched House of Cards yet but it does sound good so I must make an effort to watch it smile

juebloggs Tue 18-Feb-14 12:07:13

Loved the first series, have been eagerly awaiting this............
What a shocker in episode one! Have been trying to spread this out, but DP and I stayed up tip 2.45am on Sat night watching episodes back to back, it's too addictive! Now over half way through the series and will have to slow down - the downside of binge TV is the withdrawal symptoms when you reach the end. sad
Noticed that episodes have different directors - one we watched last night was directed by Jodie Foster.

lizd31 Tue 18-Feb-14 12:54:59

I haven't watched series 2 yet but loved series 1 so can't wait to see the brilliant new series

GarryFlo Tue 18-Feb-14 14:00:28

Its West Wing with b**ls, but although I'm only a third of the way through series one its still lacking that emotional bite. Still from what I've read patience will reward me.

impatienceisavirtue Tue 18-Feb-14 14:02:10

I'm up to episode 5 as well.

I am so proud of us for our restraint!!!!

Lucas is just irritating. Most boring character on the show.

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Tue 18-Feb-14 17:03:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Tue 18-Feb-14 17:05:39

Oh noo, just glimpsed upthread and realised everyone else is no spoilering. Have reported self to mnet and hopefully they'll delete the post soon. Sorry!

Korny1 Tue 18-Feb-14 21:54:14

Worth a watch..weekend cancelled!

Lloydy100 Tue 18-Feb-14 21:58:40

Like 'Breaking Bad', I did find watching the first season quite stressful, which I wasn't always in the mood for when feeling sleep deprived with a newborn, but I did enjoy it. I'm looking forward to pushing on through with series two. It's no West Wing, but it's certainly entertaining and Kevin Spacey is brilliant.

GretaWolfcastle Tue 18-Feb-14 21:59:11

sorry but its really NOT as good as series one - in parts quite dull

GretaWolfcastle Tue 18-Feb-14 21:59:43

too much politics

too much voting shit

yawn

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Wed 19-Feb-14 09:51:00

Hooray, they cancelled my spoiler post, two episodes in I'm really enjoying it. I thought the ... event in episode one was brilliant: really audacious piece of tv. I think Spacey and Penn are superb, utterly unpleasant yet still managing to (just) keep you onside, and Claire's wardrobe makes me want to chuck everything out and dress only in cream shift dresses (yeah, right). Slightly underwhelmed by the Claire back story plotline, it seems a little bit of a cliche to me, but I am ready to be convinced. Hooray, February's suddenly brightened up!

tobiasfunke Wed 19-Feb-14 12:28:30

I watched S2 Ep1 last night and really enjoyed it. I could've done with a recap as it had been so long since we watched the first series. We spent half the time pausing it to try and work out who had done what to who and why. I loved it when Kevin Spacey talked to the camera suddenly. I always find it a little unnerving - which is good. We are sticking with one episode a night as apart from Hell on Wheels once a week we haven't anything else to watch at the moment.

kotinka Wed 19-Feb-14 12:39:06

We've watched the whole series over the last 3 nights. I won't post any spoilers, but I loved it, more twists and turns than a knotted up slinky! Well done Netflix. smile

LadyGooGoo Wed 19-Feb-14 12:40:52

OOh, excellent...I've been looking for a good boxset to get me through the newborn sleepless nights that are approaching (36 weeks today, yipee). Think I'll start early in the name of research and watch episode 1 this afternoon (lazy Mum alert)

cheekylittledevil Wed 19-Feb-14 12:49:30

I watched the original version eons ago and loved it. We're waiting to get some fancy tv box thing that DH has his eyes on and then we'll be able to get Netflix on the TV rather than watch it on the PC. Can't wait as I love Kevin Spacey.

Llareggub Wed 19-Feb-14 14:31:42

Please can we talk about it now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now