How do you volunteer while being a SAHM to care the little one?

(7 Posts)
Windyvalley Sun 03-Jul-16 19:45:15

As the title says, how would one manage? Take the little one with me? Or have to hire someone to babysit for some hours?

starsinyourpies Sun 03-Jul-16 19:46:11

I think a lot of people start to do this when DC are in school.

Peasandsweetcorn Sun 03-Jul-16 19:56:23

It depends why you're doing it.
I know a couple of people who hire a babysitter whilst they volunteer, one so she can help out in DC1's class for an hour or so each week as she feels that it is a valuable contribution and she gets to find out useful info and I know another who sends her DC to a childminder two mornings a week whilst she volunteers as the voluntary work should lead to paid employment.
All of the other people I know who volunteer either do something in the evening or weekend or have all of their children in full time education or have local relatives willing & able to do the childcare or have a "swap" arrangement in place (by which I mean two mums in DD's class take it turns to help out in the class for an hour each week & whoever isn't helping in the class has both of the younger siblings).

insancerre Sun 03-Jul-16 20:03:09

I volunteered at the local playgroup and then the mother and toddler group so the DC came with me

I really enjoyed it and 20 years later it's my chosen career. I manage a nursery and it all started by being on the parent rota

Windyvalley Sun 03-Jul-16 20:13:16

Thanks, ladies. These sound very encouraging!

T0ddlerSlave Sun 03-Jul-16 20:18:05

You get free preschool hiurs when LO is 3 which are a good opportunity.

SprogletsMum Sun 03-Jul-16 20:19:55

I volunteer at my local children's centre, sometimes very rarely these days they provide crèche. Most of the time I just volunteer with my dc with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now