Cheap volunteering ideas for foreign student please

(4 Posts)
unobtanium Fri 09-May-14 17:33:53

Hello, I am a regular on a couple of other MN boards. Could I please ask for your ideas concerning a young person in French lycée who would love to study at a UK or US university?

Alexia knows it is advisable to spend this summer doing some kind of voluntary action which demonstrates the kind of personal qualities unis are looking for. Trouble is she would like to do this through a UK or US agency rather than the French equivalents (very difficult to deal with and also she wants to practice as much English and Spanish as possible).

Her ideal countries for such work would be Spain followed by other Spanish-speaking countries... but also new European countries might be a good bet for her.

Thanks so much. It is such a racket in the US that you actually pay thousands of dollars (before your travel that is) to go and work with handicapped kids in Mexico or orphans in Romania.

Any pointers much appreciated,

Leeds2 Sat 10-May-14 15:49:47

The National Trust run various volunteering things. I don't know how much they cost, but doubt it would be unreasonable.

unobtanium Sat 10-May-14 18:04:44

Thank you Leeds! I will look now.

Nibblets Wed 04-Jun-14 21:52:34

There's an amazing selection of volunteering opportunities all over the world - free - on the website Workaway. The site matches up people who have work to offer, with volunteers who go and live alongside the hosts. The tasks are very varied - ranging from farm work, handyperson, to teaching, animal care, help with tourists, eco projects and domestic work. The timescales can be from a couple of weeks to months or longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now