Donating Car Seat

(10 Posts)
NomDeClavier Mon 31-Mar-14 17:45:29

Just specify that you need a 0+ infant carrier with the car.

AuditAngel Wed 05-Mar-14 06:33:34

I know a local children's charity shop which does take car seats, I have taken two there myself, but as mentioned above, how would you then get to the airport?

Who are you flying with? I have taken my car seat abroad before, travelling with British Airways, it went in a travel bag (as did coats, jumpers etc.)

CharityCase Wed 05-Mar-14 06:02:48

Just bring the car seat. Even if they charge you excess baggage it'll be cheaper than getting a new one. Also, how are you going to get from the airport hire car place to Asda with no car seat?

BonaDea Sun 02-Mar-14 10:28:15

The vast majority of airlines allow you to bring a car seat for an infant for free, in addition to the luggage allowance. Worth checking with them.

Asda online is different to what they will have instore, tho you might be able to click and collect.

WhoWasThatMaskedWoman Fri 28-Feb-14 06:41:09

Do you have friends and family here?

If I were your f or f then I'd happily take it from you when you leave in order to Freecycle it, because I hate waste. Or there might be a MNer who would like it. But how would you get back to the airport at the end of your trip? Would that be a logistical problem?

rumbelina Fri 28-Feb-14 06:24:35

There is no proof, they won't ever take them. It's a shame I know - maybe you could leave with someone to sell/give away on gumtree.

jambag Fri 28-Feb-14 04:37:01

ok thats good to know. I've got this impression (given the relatively smaller population and access to variety) that there's heaps of everything in the UK!
Do you know what proof it would be that charities need (just out of interest) to be able to accept a car seat?

The one I was looking at in asda was http://direct.asda.com/My-Child-Remi-Top-Graffiti-Sport-Group-0-/1-Car-Seat/002676893,default,pd.html http://tinyurl.com/pzoapbrwhich rearfaces to 13 kg (dd is just over 8 now at 9 months, so I don't anticipate her gaining over 4kg in the next 4-5 months)

Am considering bringing one from here, cheaper to hire here than what I've seen in the UK, but not sure it will fit into luggage allowance (10kg for dd - its possible as we can buy clothes and things for her as we need them there). Going to check with airline re possibility and with hirer for weights and packaging etc (think our seat - evenflo symphony - might be too big and heavy and don't want to risk damage for that kind of distance

Yep, agreed, you wont be able to just pick up an erf seaton most highstreets. Could you bring your erf seat with you?

BonaDea Thu 27-Feb-14 08:38:59

First off, there are not a huge amount of readily available rear facing stage 1 car seats available in the uk. You can buy one no problem online or possibly at larger halfords etc but you won't get one in asda!

I think you could probably give it away for free on gumtree or free cycle but not sure how practical that is for you. I think all charities will have the same approach which is that without proof they can't accept it.

jambag Thu 27-Feb-14 08:01:56

Hi, we will be visiting the UK in a couple of months and intend to hire a car. As we are fans of extended-rear facing for our DD (who will be 13 months) and we cannot get a car hire company to confirm which kind of seats we can hire, we are considering cruising down to Asda or somesuch to buy one outright. So rather than just binning the seat or leaving in the airport hotel or car or something, I was thinking about donating it on.
Yet a quick google search shows me that most charities won't accept car seats (I understand: no proof of no previous accidents etc) I am wondering if I can give it to someone in need: seems such a waste to throw away something with lots of use left. Obviously if there was an accident or something we would not pass it on!

Just putting the feelers out for if anyone knows of any ideas here? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now