Free tutoring in maths and computing but nobody is interested

(11 Posts)
irregularegular Tue 22-Apr-14 16:04:35

actiontutoring.org.uk

hovers Wed 09-Apr-14 21:34:09

You could try signing up as a STEM ambassador with STEMNET:
www.stemnet.org.uk/ambassadors/

somanymiles Wed 02-Apr-14 14:41:02

Community Service Volunteers offers a Computer Buddy volunteer scheme which pairs up computer savvy people with elderly people who want to get online. I would give them a call as they are bound to be able to find some volunteer work for you.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 03-Feb-14 20:40:43

You could always try introducing them to the Hackney schools scheme link

Or the Tower Hamlets one which you might be able to do on your own here

WytebordMarker Mon 03-Feb-14 20:34:14

Sadly my employer does community work like painting and fundraising only.

JodieGarberJacob Mon 03-Feb-14 18:15:15

Wish you were nearer, dd3 needs help with GCSE maths. The teacher was going to provide sheets of basic skills for her to brush up on but hasn't so far and I'm not sure I can afford a weekly tutor. Mock results this week so fingers crossed it's not as bad as we think! Good luck with your venture!

MyBachisworsethanmybite Mon 03-Feb-14 18:14:03

Or go in to your volunteering bureau and ask what openings there are to do that sort of thing.

Scrap what I said above about ads: if you want to do it for free then that's not appropriate.

Does your employer have any community tie-up? Lots of big ones do.

MyBachisworsethanmybite Mon 03-Feb-14 18:11:42

There are a couple of errors in your post above. I know you're not offering English teaching but you need to be sure there are no errors in your ad.

Do parents wanting tutoring look on Gumtree? I would put cards in the post office/ad in local magazine/start asking around. They might be better sources of customers.

WytebordMarker Mon 03-Feb-14 18:08:48

Yes I am in London. Where can I find those schemes?

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 03-Feb-14 18:02:54

Are you in the City of London? If so, there are various mentoring schemes in secondary schools which would give you a solid structure to work within.

WytebordMarker Mon 03-Feb-14 17:57:01

Hi, I really want to help people to do better in maths and computing, overcoming their fear, make them realise that they can do it. However I do not know where to start. Nobody reply to my advert on gumtree so far. Any ideas on how do I get into this sort of voluntary work?

I have a maths degree and master. Currently working in the finance industry in a maths related job.

Seeing the skill shortage, the lack of female applicant and the low number of maths teacher equipped with a good maths degree, I really want to make a (small) difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now