Where can I donate dds clothes/shoes/books/toys - not charity shops.

(13 Posts)
ChilliSoup Tue 17-Dec-13 11:18:07

Hi, I have bags of clothes,toys,shoes,books,underwear.

It is all in clean, good used condition. Is only finished with due to outgrowing.

I have always sold bits and pieces on ebay, or donated to the local charity shops, but now I would like to donate directly to children/families in need.

I am finding it almost impossible to find an answer online! The typical suggestions are

Childrens wards - but can only take certain things.
SureStart Centres - can't find any real info about donating goods.
Womens Refuge - mixed info on this.
Red Cross - can only find donate money info.
Local Church - don't use/have/know one.
Playgroup - not first choice unless in real need.

I don't want it to go somewhere it will be sold on, because I could do that myself! All I want is to know that some child out there, or family struggling, can actually get their hands on these things and hopefully get some good use out of it.

Tbh I just don't know where/who to trust and most of the charities I have looked at online, only provide info on how to donate money!

It really shouldn't be this hard surely??? Is there anywhere that is like the equivalent of the local foodbanks i.e people in need can walk in and collect what they need. Free!!

So, I am looking for some real life feedback on personal experiences please.

Where can I send/give this??

I would love needy families to benefit directly. Or for the stuff to be sent abroad to eastern european countries to the orphanages etc.

None of it is amazing, but it is all good quality reusable stuff.

ChilliSoup Tue 17-Dec-13 11:19:38

I am Hampshire/Wiltshire area if this helps. But travel within reason is not out of question.

poopooheadwillyfatface Tue 17-Dec-13 11:22:59

you could just phoned your local home start service or refuge to see if they want them surely?

poopooheadwillyfatface Tue 17-Dec-13 11:24:34

I have donated baby clothes and maternity clothes to the local refuge. They sent me a lovely card to say thank you. Home start didn't need/want them.

AttackOfTheKillerMonsterSnowGo Tue 17-Dec-13 11:26:41

Contact your local Women's Aid. You won't be able to donate directly to them as it identify a their location, but most have a pick up service or drop off point you an donate to. At this time of year the sort of things you have to offer will be brilliant for them.

poopooheadwillyfatface Tue 17-Dec-13 11:28:58

I arranged to drop mine off at a local day centre service thing they run. As obvs I wasn't told where the actual refuge wasgrin

AttackOfTheKillerMonsterSnowGo Tue 17-Dec-13 11:29:04

This info on the Women's aid site...

If you call the National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247 the helpline workers will help you to locate one near to you to enable you to donate your items.

If the helpline is busy please leave a message, a contact number and a safe time to call you back. All calls are responded to as soon as possible.

SugarMiceInTheRain Tue 17-Dec-13 11:32:33

I've been wondering this. Local Women's Aid currently don't want any more toys etc just money hmm but we have so many excellent condition toys/ games/ books (some of them brand new) we would gladly donate but my online searches found nothing except information saying WA currently aren't accepting donations of toys etc. sad

phantomnamechanger Tue 17-Dec-13 17:22:21

how about giving the toys/books to the children's ward of a hospital? if they really are in excellent condition how about the salvation army's annual toy appeal?

ChilliSoup Wed 18-Dec-13 10:19:19

Thanks All, for responses.

SugarMice - I am having the same issues, hence my op about wanting RL experiences, seems you can't give the blimmin stuff away. The real shame is knowing that there must be plenty of people out there in need one way or the other. It's just finding them!

Seems it very much depends on geography as to what experience you get.

Phantom - didn't say they were in excellent condition. As for children's wards - they only want plastic/wooden things that can be anti bac'd.

Leeds2 Sun 05-Jan-14 12:58:34

Your child's nursery or school would probably accept donations of books or toys. I volunteer in a school library and love it when the children donate books that they no longer need. I know sometimes the school makes appeals for donations of toys (I have recently seen a request for drive on vehicles for use by Reception at break time, and games, puzzles etc for Y3 to use during wet break). Not especially needy, but I am sure they would be appreciated.

Doctor's surgery might take donations of books for littlies to read whilst they are waiting.

jimjamspam Sun 05-Jan-14 13:00:10

Try your local food bank or Salvation Army

Do you have good quality coats? If so Kids Company want them. If you're on Facebook all the details and address to send them to are on there.

They are given directly to the children who don't have a coat this winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now