Post Pals Christmas projects

(2 Posts)
IronWoman Sat 26-Oct-13 23:36:54

This is an excellent scheme GreyFurry! I will show it to my son tomorrow cos i think he would like to help and they say they have a shortage of Elves for teen boys.
I also liked the page on Facebook. Thanks for the heads up. xx

greyfurrybaby Sat 26-Oct-13 21:04:39

This Christmas I’m planning on making some sick children smile simply by sending some post. Post Pals brightens the lives of seriously ill children and their siblings by featuring them on the website www.postpals.co.uk.
Each child has their own page, with their story, interests and a forwarding address. Members of the public from around the world can log on and send cards, letters, emails and small gifts to brighten the child’s day and let them know someone cares. Post Pals does this all year around but at Christmas they run some special schemes.

The first is the Reindeer project. A volunteer (reindeer) is someone who is assigned a Pal and their siblings and sends 9 cards during the month of December, one from each reindeer, talking from the reindeers perspective i.e. talking about the sleigh getting full, getting ready for the big night, loving carrots being left out etc. It is not only fun for the children receiving the cards, but also for the volunteers getting to do imaginative writing. In the past one girl believed the reindeer wrote to them as she helped look after her disabled brother. Another little boy was very relieved as Father Christmas definitely knew he was in hospital so wouldn’t be missed out.

The second scheme is the Elf project. Each volunteer (Elf) is assigned a child to buy for. Each elf then gathers gifts up to the value of £15 and sends them to the address on their Pal's page in December. It is a little like the Christmas shoe box appeals we are all familiar with. Anyone of any age can be an elf, whether it’s little children picking gifts which they think someone their age would like, or adults who now have a good excuse to buy that pink fluffy present! We like to assign 2 Elves to every child as in the past people have committed to being an Elf but then not sent anything (or let us know they couldn’t continue) so that means we have 240 volunteers to find!

If you think you could help please click here for more information and details of how you can apply to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now