Considering volunteering as a dog-walker or helping children to read but not sure

(4 Posts)
custardo Mon 11-Nov-13 00:00:27

what website?

bumperella Sun 10-Nov-13 23:59:15

I do a couple of volunteering things, and have done others in the past.
Good that you know what you want, and have weeded out those of less/no interest.
IMO you need to be brutal and honest with yourself about what you want to get out of it, and also particularly clear about the downsides.
Off the top of my head, dog walking = clearing up dog poop and rain. Children reading = why aren't they're parents making time to do this, why aren't they getting better at it quicker, why aren't they as well behaved/nice/appealing as your own children/ why are the teachers not more grateful...I could thing of more.
Obviously the rewards of both are real - fitness, exercise, meeting new people, a reason to keep lonely people company, seeing a it "click" for a child.... and you will gain hugely from doing either.

Galaxymum Mon 21-Oct-13 19:45:37

I volunteer at my daughter's school listening to children ina different class with their reading. I find it very rewarding as the children enjoy that 1:1 contact, and enjoy sharing their book, chatting and someone supporting them. I have a genuinely enjoyable time and yet also know I'm helping the children and sharing my love of books by encouraging them.

carolmillen Mon 23-Sep-13 21:54:37

Hi, I would like to do a bit of volunteering in my spare time. Having looked on a website, it appears that there are vacancies for volunteers for dog walking (for elderly people's dogs) and helping children to read, as well as others that are of less interest.

I do like walking and think the dog-walking one would help me to get fit. On the other hand, the reading with children one sounds like it could be very rewarding too. I couldn't fit in both.

Does anyone have experience of either of the above and could give me any insight?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now