I feel like a total witch.

(6 Posts)
RibenaFiend Thu 29-Aug-13 19:28:18

Today I came home from work and put BBC news 24 on whilst I was cleaning bleaching the hell out of the place The main stories revolve around Syria, the tragedies unfolding and the proposed military response.

DP and I live in flats with a buzz in entry system. There is a gentle knock at the door and I answer presuming that it's a neighbour.

It is the most lovely man from Oxfam. He's gentle, polite, and he explained how oxfam are helping the refugees of this situation *that I have just been watching about on the television*. Cholera, disease, hunger. He is trying to sign people up to donate X a month.

I never sign up for or buy anything over the phone or from for to door people. It's a "safety" notion for me.

I can't afford to commit to X every month too but I could make a one off donation and I wanted to. I asked lovely Oxfam man if he had a number or a name I could reference for him to attribute him to my online donation.

I can't.

I feel horrible. He was lovely. Good at his job and left me with a smile and "have a lovely evening."

I feel selfish confused

Tee2072 Thu 29-Aug-13 19:36:21

You're a nice person. Let it go.

LoganMummy Thu 29-Aug-13 19:39:48

You simply cannot give to every charity. We pick three a year and stick to them, no other charity gets donations from us that year (except local foodbank). Otherwise I would be in even more debt than I am.

RibenaFiend Thu 29-Aug-13 20:18:13

Thank you for your replies.

I think I'm hormonal. I do feel sad for things that I can't help.

Tabby1963 Thu 29-Aug-13 20:22:05

You were right to do what you did. It is not a good idea to give money to strangers coming to the door. Make your donation on line. smile

bumperella Mon 11-Nov-13 00:17:29

The guy wants to get people to be aware of the fab work Oxfam does, and to get them to support it. You made it clear that he convinced you of this, and that you will act on it. He has gone away knowing that you will help, and that is what he wanted.
Giving on the doorstep is a terrible idea.
You could contact the area manager and give details of date/time/name so that your thanks/info on donation can be passed on to the collector. You're not being hormonal - wanting to thank someone for doing the right thing is kindness, not hormones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now