Duke of Edinbughs volunteering - anyone know about it?

(7 Posts)
GrimmaTheNome Mon 01-Jul-13 20:45:36

Good point. smile

BackforGood Mon 01-Jul-13 18:18:34

Well, if they say we can't take U16s or something, then she could ask them if they know anywhere that might. Can't see any harm in asking.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 01-Jul-13 17:57:15

Thanks all
yes, it is local - I wasn't sure if dogs homes etc would use a 14 yr old, I didn't want her to approach something like that and be turned down. Sounds like something like that might be feasible then.

Lurleene Mon 01-Jul-13 16:27:31

Have you looked on their website for more ideas?

DofE sections

There is a PDF you can download that suggests these activities if she is interested in working with animals.

Working with the
environment or animals:
Animal welfare
Environment
Rural conservation
Preserving waterways
Working at an animal rescue centre
Litter picking
Urban conservation
Beach and coastline conservation
Zoo/farm/nature reserve work

ShatnersBassoon Mon 01-Jul-13 16:18:28

Are there any wildlife sanctuaries she could go to at the weekend, to help clean out and feed at?

I think I did mine in the library. Or was it the fire station? I definitely did something in both of those, but I can't remember for what purpose.

BackforGood Mon 01-Jul-13 16:14:36

I think this is something that's very local to yourself - I can tell you where there are dogs homes, rabbit rescues, or whatever near me, but they tend to be small, local charities.
The group / school she is doing it through might have some leads / connections for her to try, but I think part of the whole experience is getting out there and finding somewhere to volunteer.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 01-Jul-13 16:05:52

My DD is in yr 9 and just starting Bronze DOE. She's got her skill and activity sorted out, but doesn't seem sure how to go about finding an appropriate 'volunteering' thing.

I think she'd prefer something environmental/wildlife or with animals, not sure if there are age restrictions on the latter though. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now