Duke of Edinbughs volunteering - anyone know about it?

(7 Posts)
GrimmaTheNome Mon 01-Jul-13 16:05:52

My DD is in yr 9 and just starting Bronze DOE. She's got her skill and activity sorted out, but doesn't seem sure how to go about finding an appropriate 'volunteering' thing.

I think she'd prefer something environmental/wildlife or with animals, not sure if there are age restrictions on the latter though. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

BackforGood Mon 01-Jul-13 16:14:36

I think this is something that's very local to yourself - I can tell you where there are dogs homes, rabbit rescues, or whatever near me, but they tend to be small, local charities.
The group / school she is doing it through might have some leads / connections for her to try, but I think part of the whole experience is getting out there and finding somewhere to volunteer.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 01-Jul-13 16:18:28

Are there any wildlife sanctuaries she could go to at the weekend, to help clean out and feed at?

I think I did mine in the library. Or was it the fire station? I definitely did something in both of those, but I can't remember for what purpose.

Lurleene Mon 01-Jul-13 16:27:31

Have you looked on their website for more ideas?

DofE sections

There is a PDF you can download that suggests these activities if she is interested in working with animals.

Working with the
environment or animals:
Animal welfare
Environment
Rural conservation
Preserving waterways
Working at an animal rescue centre
Litter picking
Urban conservation
Beach and coastline conservation
Zoo/farm/nature reserve work

GrimmaTheNome Mon 01-Jul-13 17:57:15

Thanks all
yes, it is local - I wasn't sure if dogs homes etc would use a 14 yr old, I didn't want her to approach something like that and be turned down. Sounds like something like that might be feasible then.

BackforGood Mon 01-Jul-13 18:18:34

Well, if they say we can't take U16s or something, then she could ask them if they know anywhere that might. Can't see any harm in asking.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 01-Jul-13 20:45:36

Good point. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now