How to contact famous people for charitable purposes - please help!

(6 Posts)
Catsycat Thu 13-Jun-13 22:52:54

Our small village pre-school is going to close at the end of July if we cannot raise money / interest to stop this. Among other ideas, I would like to contact actors Sir Ben Kingsley and Dame Judi Dench, who both, in times past, lived in our village. I don't want to ask for money, but just to see if there is anything publicity-wise (even just a nice soundbite for the local paper) which they might be prepared to give. I realise it's a serious long shot, and probably a bit cheeky, but nothing ventured....

Does anyone know how to go about finding an address to send mail to? I've found a website which has an address in Oxford it claims fan mail / autograph requests can be sent to, but have no idea if my letter would get through. I'd be grateful if anyone could help.

lljkk Fri 14-Jun-13 12:04:04

Maybe they have publicity agents?
Google "Contact details Famouspersonname" Try for agents, not fanclubs.

Catsycat Fri 14-Jun-13 18:29:18

Thanks for replying. Will try this.

Fantail Mon 17-Jun-13 10:12:42

I would try their agent.

Also, if they ate performing in a show perhaps try sending a letter to the theatre.

The best way though, particularly if they have a connection to your village is if there is someone in the village who can make the introduction for you.

Also, if they are on twitter or Facebook you could try those avenues too.

Whatever you send them, do try to come up with a creative way of asking for their support and remember to follow up.

Ilovesunflowers Fri 28-Jun-13 16:20:11

You could try your local community foundation for support. They have lots of contacts and work with lots of community projects and charities.

specialsubject Fri 28-Jun-13 18:27:46

most actors have an official website which will give the details of their agent. Forget Twitter or Facebook, even if it is really them they won't reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now