Welcome to our new Volunteering and Charitable Giving topic

(30 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-May-13 12:31:23

Hello, hello. We've got a brand new topic for your delectation and delight.

We're frequently blown away by the ingenuity and generosity of Mumsnetters when it comes to helping each other out; from challenging each other to fundraising runs, to prodding others to give blood/sign the bone-marrow donation register, to knitting/crocheting for MN's very own Woolly Hugs.

So we thought a new topic where you can talk about volunteering/fundraising/giving for charity, share useful info and tips, and maybe even join forces to do something extra special for causes you feel passionate about, would be in order.

We also wanted to let you know about www.givemore.org.uk, which is all about encouraging people across the UK to pledge to give more time, money and energy to the charity or cause they care about.

With Give More we've put together some simple ideas on how you might "give more" were you of a mind to; do take a look and, if you can, make a pledge of your own.

MylinhMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 17-Sep-13 16:56:53

Hello everyone

Just wanted to let you know that the team over at Give More have just launched their Give More Challenge week, which invites you to take this quiz to see just how much you know about local issues and giving your community. Give it a try and test your local knowledge.

A quick update on Give More - the movement has to date secured over 33,000 pledges from people across the UK about giving more to charities and good causes they care about. A great result!

Thanks
MNHQ

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 04-Jun-13 09:09:50

Hello brew

If we wanted to do a Woolly Hugs fundraiser for a charity being organised by a lovely Mumsnetter, is this a place we can promote it? Not sure what the accepted thing is?

Woo smile I think you have to go through 'my groups' and click play if you want your score to tally to a group? Haven't worked that out confused

Ragwort Fri 03-May-13 15:23:20

Confused I didn't realise that there were Groups on the site, I have joined too smile.

BriansBrain Thu 02-May-13 22:08:22

Ragwort that is a great link and I've just donated!

Ragwort: I've just discovered that there isn't a Mumsnet Group on there, so have made one grin

Oo, helpfromhome is a handy site for doing charitable things without even leaving the house.

I love this topic idea smile I am hoping to get bhack on charity stuff once my course is finished smile

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 02-May-13 18:56:39

Hey kate grin

This is a lovely idea for a topic.

I was thinking of starting a thread - I know that a mumsnetter does some voluntary work for teenage mothers who need support in getting education and work. I can't remember for the life of me who it was, but it would be interesting if there was something similar in my area, as it is a subject which is dear to my heart (as a former teenage mother myself).

BIWI Thu 02-May-13 08:45:39

"A break from Mumsnet"

Nope. No clue.

Ragwort Thu 02-May-13 08:19:49

Do you all know the www.freerice.com website?

You play a spelling/comprehension game and rice is donated, good fun (when you need a break from Mumsnet grin) and worthwhile.

ripsishere Thu 02-May-13 04:25:53

I'd welcome some more volunteers at my project. It isn't actually mine, I go to a centre to teach Myanmar refugees with UNHCR.
Nobody else seems to want to go all the way out to Sungai Buloh.
Can there be a special overseas area please?

LEMisdisappointed Wed 01-May-13 22:32:18

Excellent smile 10/10

Nice topic smile

PoppyWearer Wed 01-May-13 18:21:15

thanks MNHQ. Great idea for a new topic!

eminemmerdale Wed 01-May-13 17:30:31

thanks!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-May-13 17:25:21

eminemmerdale

Just mention the website and the centres...oh I just have done - derr sad

You're welcome to put up something about www.do-it.org on our Charities Noticeboard, eminemmerdale.

And I do believe Give More have listed www.do-it.org in their Give Guide.

eminemmerdale Wed 01-May-13 16:12:25

Just mention the website and the centres...oh I just have done - derr sad

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-May-13 16:09:19

eminemmerdale

Can you put the www.do-it.org website up too and mention volunteer centres? I manage one and we really can help people <shameless plug grin >

How do you mean, eminemmerdale?

eminemmerdale Wed 01-May-13 15:35:45

Can you put the www.do-it.org website up too and mention volunteer centres? I manage one and we really can help people <shameless plug grin >

kneedeepindaisies Wed 01-May-13 14:27:28

Oooh I will have a look later as I would be interested in volunteering in health promotion/food skills etc.

K8Middleton Wed 01-May-13 12:48:15

Ooh you've sneakily changed the link! shock grin

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-May-13 12:43:03

K8Middleton

That Give More page is a touch out of date. It's May 2013 and they're talking about the next 12 months... in 2012 confused

No it doesn't grin. (That was my mistake).

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-May-13 12:42:18

K8Middleton

I notice volunteer posts in local are rather quiet.

We're hoping folks will be inspired to "noisy up" the MN Local volunteering threads too. Do please go and check out what's happening in your MN Local, folks - and feel free to get the ball rolling, if needs be.

AtYourCervix Wed 01-May-13 12:42:14

Interesting....

Will have a looksy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now