Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Talk to me about Assassin's Creed please

(16 Posts)
PacificDogwod Fri 25-Nov-16 19:50:37

I am not a gamer - never have been, never will be.
But I accept that many people love gaming, so I am trying to keep up with what the DSs get up to on their various platforms hmm <- DH is the tech head (but also not really a gamer)

So, DS1 and DS2 are almost-14 and almost-13.
There are some games I will not contemplate (GTA being the prime one) and some they are not bothered about (COD which they do play at friends' houses at times).
We have a good relationship and talk about my reasons for disliking some games and their reasons for liking them.

So, DS2 is playing Assassin's Creed at a friend's house and is enjoying it. Mainly for the 'running around the city and jumping over roofs' with some 'shooting bad guys' thrown in.

So, reading about it's premise and plot on Wikipedia it sounds great grin
I love a bit of fantasy and ancient orders and Good vs Evil but prefer reading for my escapism, but is it at all suitable for young teens??

Any and all opinions much appreciated thanks

PacificDogwod Sat 26-Nov-16 16:26:15

Anyone, please?
thanks

PinkiePiesCupcakes Sat 26-Nov-16 16:34:13

there isn't really a up to date Assassins Creed atm, the latest one was released last year.

Theyre good games, though there are puzzles etc in them that may prove difficult for your kids ages.
I don't know if there is anything in them that I woiuld say putxs it in the '18' catergory like GTA? Maybe you could watch a few YouTube Vids and see what theyre about?

Look for Assassins Creed Unity or Assassins Creed Syndicate, theyre the two newest.
The other release is "The Ezio Collection" which is a port of the older games in the series.

PacificDogwod Sat 26-Nov-16 16:41:16

Thank you, Pinkie smile

I know that there is no current or brand-new game and that's fine. It would be a new addition to our games (which are mainly driving games and Minebloodycraft grin)

Yes, it was the possibility of adult or particularly gruesome content that worried me.

Good idea about YouTube - I'll have a look, had not occurred to me. Doh.
Thanks for the recommendations too.

neonrainbow Sat 26-Nov-16 16:47:47

Assassins creed black flag is one of the best games ive ever played. Ever. It's incredible. The graphics on ps4 are immense and as well as the usual assassins creed parkour stuff and storyline you've got this whole other world of being a pirate, attacking forts and other ships and hunting. It can be a bit gory but not massively over the top and you can choose to subdue people rather than kill them but to be honest all games involve death even plants vs zombies! There is some swearing and a tiny bit of fairly mild sexual content (from what i remember) Id be happy to let a sensible 13/14 year old play it. Syndicate is good but gets samey after a while because you haven't got the boat stuff to play with but it's good for running round victorian London.

PacificDogwod Sat 26-Nov-16 16:54:27

neon, great, that is just the kind of info I was hoping for.

I am not too fussed about the killing side of things (we played cops and robbers and 'killed' each other grin), it's drawn out dying, torture, anything 'weird' sexually (DSs1 and 2 kind of accidentally saw Deadpool and understood far more than I thought they would and were adamant they would never watch it with me in the room! grin).
I feel very strongly about GTA and will not allow it over the threshold of this house, no matter what age they are <unreasonable but adamant>, but am trying to strike a balance between total permissiveness and absolute refusal.

I love that it has a decent plot and the visuals look stunning.

neonrainbow Sat 26-Nov-16 20:49:02

Nah its much much safer than gta 5 i wouldn't let them play that till they were 17 at least and only when there was zero chance of anyone younger ever seeing it. Black flag can be bought pretty cheaply now too.

AmberGreyson Tue 29-Nov-16 09:33:36

i think that the first 3 games were awesome

PacificDogwod Tue 29-Nov-16 17:02:49

Ok, so now i am wondering whether to get them chronologically (they are not that expensive anymore) or go straight for Black Flag?
Syndicate is the one he's been playing at his friend's house.

neonrainbow Tue 29-Nov-16 18:04:30

I didn't like the one before black flag. It held your hand too much and was too linear. Just get black flag grin

JacobFryesTopHatLackey Tue 29-Nov-16 18:10:48

I would skip unity and go for black flag, rogue or syndicate. They're more fun and feel more complete as games.

There's a recently released remaster of the ezio trilogy which would be good for an entry to the franchise and is good value for money. 3 full games in 1'

PrincessMortificado Tue 29-Nov-16 18:19:24

Black Flag!

Then Syndicate (which is samey but beautiful).

Unity was a bit clunky.

You've made me all nostalgic. I'm going to dig out the Xbox

PrincessMortificado Tue 29-Nov-16 18:20:37

Elder Scrolls might interest you too (though I got painfully addicted to that for a while)

JacobFryesTopHatLackey Tue 29-Nov-16 18:24:55

Oh Unity was clunky and possibly a bit too heavy on the mind boggling riddles that you needed degrees in French and history for. And I couldn't stand Elise. But I did think it was the prettiest looking of the lot. It had promise. <feels a bit mournful over it>

PrincessMortificado Tue 29-Nov-16 18:27:42

Yes! I was so excited when I bought it, it looked beautiful. But I'd already played the others and it just drove me mad.

PacificDogwod Tue 29-Nov-16 19:06:36

Yeah, I should just get Black Flag, shouldn't I grin
Overthink it, I am <channels Yoda>

I am really grateful for everybody's views btw thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now