Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

WoW players: anyone following the Blizzard-Nostalrius saga?

(11 Posts)
TrionicLettuce Sat 16-Apr-16 16:20:29

What are your thoughts?

I only discovered Nostalrius a few weeks ago and thought I'd give it a go. I had great fun (whilst still paying for, playing and enjoying the current retail version) until Blizzard shut it down last weekend.

The private server community seems to be seizing the closure of Nostalrius as an opportunity to really push Blizzard to consider either running their own legacy servers or sanctioning private ones. Enough hoo-ha has been caused so far for even the BBC to take notice and the petition on Change.org is up to over 110k signatures. High profile people are wading into the debate. Mark Kern (one of the original WoW devs) has spoken out in favour of vanilla servers and has promised to personally send the petition to Mike Morhaime if it hits 200k signatures.

I love the game as it is now and I'm ridiculously excited about Legion but I'd also jump at the chance to be able to play vanilla alongside it. I think Blizzard are missing a trick not running their own legacy servers, especially since subscriber numbers have been dropping so much recently.

TrionicLettuce Mon 18-Apr-16 12:59:49

Well, the petition has gained another 45k signatures over the weekend and the number is still rising steadily.

There's a nice little roundup of what has happened and who has become involved since the shutdown here.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 18-Apr-16 13:03:51

I play WoW and I have no idea what you're talking about. grin

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 18-Apr-16 13:07:17

Ok, have read the bbc article now. I had no idea what a vanilla server is but get it now. I had no idea they existed. I can see the attraction of being able to play pre cataclysm WoW. I do think it's changed so much!

TrionicLettuce Mon 18-Apr-16 23:03:51

Although I knew they existed I'd never really investigated private servers much until I randomly decided to have a look at Nostalrius. I'm gutted that I only found it just before it was shut down!!

The game is so different now (not necessarily better or worse, just different) that it seems such a shame to consign WoW as it was when it was first released to the history books.

Hopefully something will come of this, the petition is now up to 170k signatures grin

IAmNotAMindReader Mon 25-Apr-16 16:06:11

I signed and now its up to over 233k. However I do think Blizzard are going ot stick their fingers in their ears. Since Activision became involved all they've done is pushed content on players that they've been told time and again is lazy, boring and immersion breaking. What are they doing about it? Expanding it for Legion.
Did you hate World of Hermitcraft that Warlords became with everyone hiding in their garrison? Well they've completely changed that by ....Introducing the same tables in the class halls.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 25-Apr-16 16:23:12

I imagine it's a brand risk thing, and if you can get enough signatures to suggest there is more risk in not doing it, they'd consider it.

But it is Activision so they might decide to throw logic to the wind and just refuse to back down.

TrionicLettuce Tue 26-Apr-16 13:31:52

There's finally been a response from Blizzard today. The "pristine servers" might be interesting but it's not the same as vanilla and it's not what the community wants.

I've just cancelled two WoW subscriptions, my Legion pre-order and my Overwatch pre-order.

IAmNotAMindReader Tue 26-Apr-16 13:44:45

As expected from Blizzard "You don't actually want what you've been asking for and playing on. What you want is this *totally different topic*"

MetalMidget Tue 26-Apr-16 19:56:55

Did you hate World of Hermitcraft that Warlords became with everyone hiding in their garrison?

^ This! Warlords is the first expansion that I've not levelled though - I think I got to level 93 on my Death Knight and 91 on my rogue, I just got bored of the garrison very quickly. Didn't even play my priest. Maybe I'm being unfair as I didn't give it a good shot, but it just didn't keep my interest.

I suspect that they're trying to push more F2P style design with an eye on dropping the subscription in the future. They've repeatedly pushed the game in a more casual direction, but casual players are fickle and will quickly move on - and now they've alienated the long term players who are looking to relive the game they fell in love with. I miss the old tech trees, the intricacies of each class and the specs within the classes, the need for crowd control, etc. sad

Urbarian Mon 16-May-16 16:56:49

I also playing WoW!!
Finally I found some company=))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now