Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Is anyone else a Sims 3 fan?

(482 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Salazar Sun 25-May-14 01:14:43

29 and playing it tonight!

Nocomet Sun 25-May-14 01:15:25

Both DDs play, DD2 is the real addict she started on SIMS2 aged 6(it was meant to be big sisters present) and now has pretty much every sims3 add on too. (she's 13) she likes designing families and buildings. She had a little girl living in a complex beach house and taking a jet ski to school.

Jenda Sun 25-May-14 01:32:42

I am a rubbish designer but I find it theraputic! Have tried to do a legacy before, really should do more things like that to make it more interesting. I love Island Paradise too but always have to abandon it because of the lag.

Just progressed loads with my family and mouse and keyboard crashed before I could save, arrrrgggh!

Never played WA, is it worth it?

What is modding?

Coumarin Sun 25-May-14 01:53:22

I had a 7 generation family once. I had other saves on the go with various other Sims and in progress builds but kept going back to that same family. Then my laptop crashed and I had to reinstall the whole thing. Not tech minded enough to have a back up save so they were lost.

It was very tragic.

riksti Sun 25-May-14 02:51:11

I use the Traveler mod for WA - it has made it a lot more playable. Actually I've got most of Twallan's bug elimination mods (error trap, traveler, overwatch etc) as legacy playing means that bugs creep in and the mods are keeping them in check.

Story Progression is brilliant although if I hadn't been using it since the beginning I'm not sure I could get my head around it now. It's grown massive but very useful. I get very annoyed now playing without map tags (for non-mod users - map tags show the location of every sim in the world, and their current activity).

riksti Sun 25-May-14 02:58:07

coumarin - back-ups in sims are actually really easy - all you need to do is copy your 'sims 3' folder elsewhere. If you only want to save the game then copying the 'Saves' folder within 'Sims 3' folder is sufficient but as far as I know this wouldn't copy any custom content you may have.

The official EA instructions are here: help.ea.com/uk/article/how-do-i-backup-my-saved-games-in-the-sims-3/

juneybean Sun 25-May-14 10:18:55

I used to enjoy making many generation families but the game could never cope with the information and would eventually become unplayable.

Wonder if they'll sort that kind of stuff out for sims 4

Jumblebee Sun 25-May-14 10:40:06

ashamedly holds hand up 24 year old sims 3 fan here. Just got back into it after getting irritated at The Sims 2 taking ages to load and crashing all the time!

Has anyone for The Paradise Island expansion? I just bought the College one but I really want the paradise one!

I ignored all housework yesterday and instead spent 6:00pm until 11:00pm playing the Sims hmm

purplemurple1 Sun 25-May-14 10:47:52

I love Sims - haven't played in ages as 3 kept crashing my laptop and I can't bring myself to go back to 2.
Would it be insane to buy a New laptop just for Sims 4?

juneybean Sun 25-May-14 11:13:02

No it'd be an investment!

purplemurple1 Sun 25-May-14 11:17:15

Anyone got tips on a good laptop for Sims that I can also use for work (internet, Microsoft, email).

juneybean Sun 25-May-14 11:19:33

Does it have to be a laptop? You'd have to spend a fair amount to get a good laptop that would cope. Sims just seems to fry them!

I invested in a gaming PC and update parts as and when I need to.

ilovemonstersInc Sun 25-May-14 11:20:50

Op im 22 and love sims! I got the first one for my birthday years ago when I was given a surprise laptop too

MilksteakCharlie Sun 25-May-14 11:23:58

I'm 36 and I've been playing it since the beginning on pc. I have Sims 3 on the Ps3 now, and I play it in fits and starts. My ds's play it too.

purplemurple1 Sun 25-May-14 11:25:22

I travel a lot for work and it's those nights away that I'm likely to have time for playing so a desktop wouldn't work for me unfortunately.

OneWaySystemBlues Sun 25-May-14 11:27:37

I'm 45 and I've played The Sims since the original game. I loved it. Got the sims 3 but don't play much these days - think I liked the sims 2 best. I liked being able to move families without messing up story lines, which is harder in the sims 3.

juneybean Sun 25-May-14 11:28:24

Oh that's a shame. See if you can get more moneys worth by buying from a wholesaler, the name of the one I used has escaped me so will try and find it.

But you want as much ram as you can get along with an amazing graphics card.

BertieBotts Sun 25-May-14 11:34:08

I have Twallan's set of mods too. I don't know, I do like the story progression, I just wish you could opt families in and out of it. I'm trying to set it up with the caste system included in Twallan's Story Progression but you run into problems with ageing. What would be perfect for me would be to have a few families set as "playable" and they would be sims 2 style - don't age or do anything unless you play them, might turn up at community lots or come home from work etc, and I could play through those families and not miss anything, but the "townie" families would have story progression events, age, etc. But then you have to have the townies ageing slower than the playables if the playables aren't ageing unless played. Gaaah! I get bored only being able to play one family but TS3 isn't really designed to let you skip between them unless you want to turn off story progression altogether and play sims 2 style, which I don't!

I think I just need some time to experiment and play around with the settings.

I wouldn't play Sims on a laptop. Are you sure you can't stretch to a desktop? If you do go for a laptop you'll need one with a standalone graphics card and not an onboard one.

BertieBotts Sun 25-May-14 11:35:16

www.modthesims.info seems to be the best site for discussing specs for sims games, in my experience. Look on their help pages.

riksti Sun 25-May-14 11:44:09

Bertie - I'm sure you can opt individual families out of story progression. I think it was done by clicking on the house and selecting 'disable story progression for this lot' (or something similar). I've never used it but definitely remember seeing it. I'm also not sure whether that disables ageing on whether you have to do that separately as well.

juneybean Sun 25-May-14 11:46:57

Website I was thinking of is scan.co.uk they do some laptops!

Psypher Sun 25-May-14 12:02:32

I've played The Sims through most of it's versions but I have never really got on with any of the extension packs so I haven't bought any since Sims 1!

I'm not sure I really play the Sims properly.....I have done all sorts of things....I have started off with just a batchelor, getting him a good job, married, having kids, upgrading the house, getting promotions etc and then played that family through to the tenth generation (that took some commitment) I think that was in Sims 2.

I have also just played certain characters for short periods....seeing how many times I can get my female Sim married and divorced etc, how many times I can get her to WooHoo with another Sim with her current husband watching and sobbing (followed by the Fight, of course), I have also started households with one character and seven babies and tried to get them all through to childhood without social services taking any away. More often than not, the adult goes completely mad grin

I also used to entertain myself greatly with Sims 2 (when it was still relatively easy to kill off the sims)...if I had had a shite day at work, I would come home, calmly spend a while creating a very good likeness Sim of the person that had peeved me that day, move them into a lovely little house.....and then kill them. Burn them to death, trap them in a doorless room, get them in a ladderless swimming pool.....then I would watch them suffer and ultimately get taken away by the Grim Reaper. That was hugely theraputic. And probably the reason I am not in jail.... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now