Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is anyone else a Sims 3 fan?

(471 Posts)

I mentioned on the Hay Day thread I might start a Sims thread. I've been playing it for 5 hours today. I even forgot to have wine grin

I know it's probably not socially acceptable to be 22 and a fan of the Sims 3... But this is a 15 year addiction, starting with The Sims, then the sims 2 and I've now been a steady Sims 3 player since it came out in 09!

Anyone else?

Are you patched to the latest version? It can mess your game up if you have an old mod/new patch or a new mod/old patch - they need to be married up. The easiest way to do that is to have the newest patch and newest mod (they shouldn't update anymore now tbh now that TS4's coming out).

Have a go with that, if not come back and I'll rack my brain further!

FlintAndTinder Mon 25-Aug-14 22:45:15

I believe so, my game was all up to date today and I put most of them in today except OW and MC.

I'll have to try taking them out one by one and see what's causing that...

FlintAndTinder Mon 25-Aug-14 22:47:28

Hmmm, maybe my older mods are out of date. Do you have to update them all individually every time? I don't play for months at a time and then I get a rainy bank holiday and decide to go for it..!!

FlintAndTinder Mon 25-Aug-14 22:57:28

Sorry to spam the thread a bit... but I just deleted Overwatch (apparently there's been a new version since the one I installed in March when I first read this thread! and the bug list has "issues with the Rewards system" which was a clue that I should maybe try that first...) and then the Lifetime Wish was fulfilled when I logged in again!

Thanks for the help, it did make me look again at what might not have been working!

Oh good, glad it's working!

Yep, it's always worth checking for new versions of mods. They tend to be updated each time a new patch comes out, but given that TS4 is coming out there's unlikely to be any further TS3 patches to come so if you update all now, you shouldn't have to again.

Have you tried putting the latest version of Overwatch in? Would be a shame not to have it in game, it's fantastic.

FlintAndTinder Tue 26-Aug-14 00:37:36

Not yet, but I do intend to - however the bank holiday is over and who knows when I'll get a chance to play again!

It's not the same as the old days when you have a toddler at your elbow shouting "Man! Bath! Car!" and trying to imitate the sound effects....

juneybean Tue 26-Aug-14 20:51:43

www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/26/the-sims-4-recommended-system-requirements-revealed-hope-you-have-a-core-i5/

<headdesk>

What happened to Sims 4 not needing as high requirements as Sims 3...?

Hmmm, yeah they don't seem wildly different!
Which specs are you missing juney?

juneybean Tue 26-Aug-14 21:09:37

Not sure but I wasn't planning on getting 4 any ways, I just thought they were making it more "achievable"

Snatchoo Thu 28-Aug-14 13:56:09

I have absolutely loads of CC and loads of mods. I've had problems but they've all been sorted by variations of:

1) deleting the completely unnecessary CC to make sure there just isn't too much there;
2) removing mods from the folder, updating the patch and then re-downloading and installing the mod. Make sure you don't select the option to update automatically;
3) the biggest problem I've had was with downloads of Premium content where it just wasn't working. Multitab not working, bakery oven not generating the moodlets, the cow corral not working at all and causing the Sim to need to be reset. This was more difficult to fix, but after a couple of rounds of doing this I have fixed them all! None of my Premium content comes from the store btw blush

Flint - why don't you make a backup of your game, install the bakery and then take it from there? I don't use it as a venue, I just like having the items, especially the new oven!

I am quite tempted by CC, and have had it in games previously, but got rid of it all at the first sign of trouble and promised myself I wouldn't download any in future. But now I'm a bit 'techier' about it I think I could just about manage!

So - The Sims Resource and Mod the Sims - any others worth looking at?

BertieBotts Thu 28-Aug-14 16:37:06

It's probably that Sims 4 doesn't need as high equivalent requirements as Sims 3 did when it came out.

Either way, I'm really really underwhelmed by all of the info about Sims 4, and won't be buying it. Perhaps after there are some expansions and decent custom content but even then, possibly not.

WarblingOyster Sat 30-Aug-14 15:23:31

I've had Sims 4 preordered for months blush

Oooo! Oooo! I just found this thread - haven't read it yet, but just got the Sims 3 working again this past week or so - it used to crash on me all the time, but was bored, so moved it to another drive and now it runs like a dream and I'm obsessed again. I haven't read the thread yet (slaps self) but am delighted to have found it. I'll come back with something more sensible to say once I've ploughed through it all smile

My current sim is a werewolf single mum of one (who seems to be a vampire) daughter - she's (the mother, that is) just turned into an elder and is desperately researching alchemy so she can be young again smile She also collects bugs and kills plants by neglecting them.

I'm not planning on getting Sims 4 until all the release glitches have been sorted - I am sure there will be loads!

Welcome Furry! How exciting. Glad you got your game to run smoothly.

I think I'm going to be getting TS4 on Friday. I can't resist grin

Just been over to TS4 forums, as it's been released in the US today, and this really made me laugh.

Oh, wait. I've just read the list of things that are confirmed as not being in TS4 and I'm shocked!

CONFIRMED - MAJOR MISSING FEATURES: (All were in base versions of Sims 3)
No create a style (CAST) - NOT possible in future expansions
No family trees
No Mac version of the game at release (or announced)
No modifications to world/public spaces - The park in the demo is a mix of a community lot and public space
No “normal” careers - Law enforcement, Medical, Business, etc. were removed
No open world - You must incur a loading screen between each active lot; each neighborhood has 1-5 lots total
No pools
No terrain tools other than paint; everything is perfectly flat
No story progression - Sims in the neighborhood age, but do not have children, get jobs, move, get married…etc. without player intervention
No toddlers - Nor were they combined with "enhanced" babies
No way to create/place new lots - And you only have 2 empty ones at the start of the game!

CONFIRMED - MAJOR CUT BACK FEATURES: (All were in base versions of Sims 3)
All buildings on a lot must have the same foundation. No mixing for sheds, garages, etc.
Babies are mere objects - All interactions are through basinet. There are no baby objects. Babies can only be lifted directly above basinet.
Backgrounds are illusions - The buildings in the background are not playable in the game.
Completely FLAT lots - The entire build-able world is completely flat
Fewer floors/levels, limited to three
SIGNIFICANTLY smaller “worlds” of <25 lots compared to 125+ lots in TS3
Smaller lots - Lots are limited to 50x50 instead of 64x64.
Loading screens for individual lots
The map is a two-dimensional picture
Teens are same height as adults and they, along with elders, all look nearly identical.

CONFIRMED - OTHER MISSING GAMEPLAY ELEMENTS: (All were in base versions of Sims 1, Sims 2, or Sims 3)
No acne
No aliens
No animated hair
No aspiration failures
No bartender (as NPC for hire)
No basements
No bobble head for selecting actions
No bookstores
No burglar alarms
No cars (not even as décor)
No cemeteries
No cutscenes
No cleaning skill
No clothes shopping
No color wheel, predefined to ~20 colors
No comfort need
No curfew
No customization of multi-tone hair color (users select only main color)
No diseases or illness
No dreams
No environment need
No eyelash length slider
No favorites (food, color, music)
No fears
No firefighters - Be careful with the matches!
No full face make-up
No garage doors
No gardener for hire
No ghosts
No grocery stores
No male body hair
No move object cheat
No newspapers
No opacity slider for makeup
No party invitations from other Sims
No portraits
No private school
No rabbit holes at all - Sims move offscreen for work and school. There are no hospitals, work/school buildings…etc.
No random or accidental deaths
No repairman
No restaurants
No skin slider
No still lifes
No swimming/swimwear - Including lakes, fountains, etc.
No tragic clown or social bunny
No way to watch a Sim commute to work/school
No website for browsing exchange or store (in-game only)
No zodiac signs

MISSING OBJECTS: (All were in base versions of Sims 1, Sims 2, or Sims 3)
No bikes
No changing tables
No cribs
No dishwashers
No highchairs
No hot tubs
No pool tables
No trash compactors

CONFIRMED - MISC LIMITING GAME FEATURES:
32-bit executable - TS4 is not 64-bit, and cannot access more than 4GB of RAM. You realize no benefits for more than 4GB of RAM.
Fewer traits in CAS (more traits must be unlocked/earned in-game)
Incompatible Simpoint currency - Sims 3 Store Simpoints do not work with TS4

RUMORED (NOT CONFIRMED, BUT VERY LIKELY):
No babysitters (as NPC for hire)
No burglars
No cashiers
No Create a World
No exterminator
No swings
Premium Membership is REQUIRED to get certain sets on release day or at all
No inheritance
No interests
No magazines
No pinball machines
No way to water flower beds/bushes

Jumblebee Tue 02-Sep-14 12:54:48

I'm so happy people are back posting on this thread, I'll admit I have missed it (I am sad!)

The family I'm playing at the moment constantly crash! I was in the middle of moving them to a new house (didn't want to move them to a new neighbourhood because they're doing really well in their careers) and it crashed on me AGAIN. So I haven't really played properly in at least a month confused

Greyhound I can't believe how much is NOT included in TS4! My SIL has it preordered so I'll be able to have a go on hers. But my laptop is so old I think it would give up the ghost if I tried TS4 on it hmm

Jumblebee Tue 02-Sep-14 12:56:55

Furrydogmother what drive did you move TS3 to? Was it an external hard drive? I'm clueless with computers! My game crashes constantly too, just started on a particular family. If you had the same problem maybe I could do what you did and get back to whole days full of simming grin

It's mad isn't it Jumble?! SO many things (basic things that have been in base games since TS2) completely missed out. EA/Maxis have plugged this as a sequel, but how can it be a sequel when it seems so completely different SHITTER? I have to say the idea of going back to loading screens after TS3s seamless worlds isn't great, nor is the lack of townie story progression, which is vital to my playing style. <fumes> I'll probably still buy it though <sucker>

TS4 is supposedly less demanding on PCs than was 3, so you might be better with 4 on your laptop.

When I've had problems with crashing, I usually do a clean reinstall, but save my Mods folder and Saves folder to put back in. Might that help? It's a PITA but usually solves most issues!

For anyone with a laggy/unplayable Isla Paradiso I've just read this and whilst very sweary (and quite funny IMO) looks a good option. I have all those mods except Debug enabler which I'll download later and I might download that edited world from MTS.

Snatchoo Tue 02-Sep-14 15:21:22

I'm glad I haven't pre-ordered TS4 now. I enjoy making my Sims but not enough to have CAS as the main feature of the game!

Jumblebee - when you say crashing, are you getting that 'The Sims 3 has stopped working' box? If so, if you're running the game on Windows 8, you need to change that as there are incompatibilities.

Hover over the icon for the launcher, and right click when the icon comes up. Select properties and then select 'run through Vista' (or something similar - I'm not at home to double-check the fine details!).

I found this out after my game was becoming completely unplayable as it was crashing 5 or 10 minutes into playing. Since I've done this - about a month ago now - I've only had the same problem once.

juneybean Tue 02-Sep-14 15:55:34

*No family trees*

WHAT?! Ugh this game.

I know juney - hmm Seems a simple inclusion?!

Sod it. I'm doing it tonight. grin I'll report back!

juneybean Tue 02-Sep-14 17:03:12

Wow that's cheap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now