Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is anyone else a Sims 3 fan?

(479 Posts)

I mentioned on the Hay Day thread I might start a Sims thread. I've been playing it for 5 hours today. I even forgot to have wine grin

I know it's probably not socially acceptable to be 22 and a fan of the Sims 3... But this is a 15 year addiction, starting with The Sims, then the sims 2 and I've now been a steady Sims 3 player since it came out in 09!

Anyone else?

TheWhispersOfTheGods Sat 24-May-14 22:11:04

Totes ok to be 22 and a sims fan, I'm 24 and am! Haven't played it for an age though as I DH lost the disks. sad

juneybean Sat 24-May-14 22:12:16

I'm nearly 29 and have played since sims 1 came out, do love it but don't feel excited by sims 4

riksti Sat 24-May-14 22:17:20

A 34-year-old sims fan here. Ie played it since the original game - Makin' Magic is still my all time favourite expansion pack. But agree with juneybean - sims 4 doesn't really seem like much of an improvement.

Me neither juney haven't been particularly turned on by the trailers.

whispers do you have the booklets? I may be able to get you simming again if you do. (I lost my disks yonks ago.. No dodginess required btw)

Oh riksti I flipping loved makin magic! they tried to recreate it with sims 2 apartment life and that didn't do it for me tbh.

My favourite sims 2 EP was seasons/university. I really loved sims 2.

The only worlds/EPs I haven't downloaded for 3 are Supernatural/Into the Future and then Midnight Hollow. They don't appeal to me (tho makin magic did)

Has anyone got the new world Roaring Heights? Gorgeous Art Deco world based in 1920s Miami <swoon> it's great and the clothes are fab.

TheWhispersOfTheGods Sat 24-May-14 22:27:11

I have no idea if we have the booklets - the disks are probably in an old laptop bag from uni or something! That is very kind of you, thabks, but I'm sure I'll find them eventually dh knows better than to have thrown them out!

riksti Sat 24-May-14 22:27:18

I think Supernatural's quite good. I like the ghosts, zombies etc in my neighbourhood. Into the Future's a bit pointless - you go to the future a couple of times and then the novelty wears off. I haven't got the Showtime or the Island Paradise ones - these two didn't seem to add much to my way of playing.

JennySense Sat 24-May-14 22:30:24

I love the Sims! In fact was thinking about digging it out again and reticulating some spines...
So V4 is not worth it?

BertieBotts Sat 24-May-14 22:36:47

I'm not keen on 3 but I love 2 and will probably play it for another 10 years. I'm 25 grin I'm actually reluctant to upgrade to Windows 8 because I heard that it has problems running Sims 2 and I'm not ready to give it up yet!

I'm very interested in 4 because it seems to be going back to the more original ethos of the game. I just remember the sheer excitement of sims 2 coming out and it being really 3D and the amazing zoom and view options and everything, and then Sims 3 had good ideas - I love the seamless neighbourhood, and the create a pattern thing and traits - but other than those it didn't really add anything, and didn't feel that groundbreakingly different, not in the way Sims 2 was after Sims 1. I do love all of those features but I just find myself constantly disappointed and frustrated with the game. I don't like the way you feel stuck to one family - I know you can switch but then it all gets messed up with story progression. I've got mods which sort it all out but it's such a ball ache to set everything up the exact way I want it. And I find it extremely frustrating that they release patches about once every 3 months which means I have to save copies of my options, graphic options (to sort out the ridiculous glow thing) and update all of the mods and just hope that the settings stick on those as well. And I don't like the face bone structure and the texture of the clothes is too shiny!

I have some ideas of things I want to do in the sims 3 but I also just want to jump in and play and I find I can't do that without spending a long time setting up worlds etc the way I want them to be and now I have a child I don't have time to spend all day on it any more!

FourForksAche Sat 24-May-14 22:36:50

another sims 3 addict here!

BertieBotts Sat 24-May-14 22:38:30

Oh and I had to set it up in some kind of super top secret gaming windowless windowed mode to sort out the gamma issues which are horrendous. Might be my graphics card but it happened on 4 different machines with 4 different cards, so I don't think so.

riksti Sun 25-May-14 00:14:15

My sims 3 experience was vastly improved when I discovered mods. Twallan's Story Progression is what turned Sims 3 into a game it should have been. I was really looking forward to the neighbourhood developing with my family that sims 3 promised and to find out it was essentially random was a big disappointment. Story Progression fixed that.

Saying that - I like playing one family through the generations and it got really boring in sims 2 seeing the same faces in the neighbourhood with the children not ageing and the same dating pool for several generations. So Sims 3 was made for me. I do miss the look of the sims in Sims 2, though... And the cow plant!

FourForksAche Sun 25-May-14 00:18:56

Mainly I like building really elaborate houses. The characters are a bit secondary to me.

riksti Sun 25-May-14 00:24:13

FourForksAche - I'm the opposite. My sims live with their washing machine and easels littering the back yard since I can't be bothered to extend their house. I sometimes get my husband to build one as he also prefers the design aspect of the game smile

I completely agree riksti I couldn't go back to sims before 3 and the house-by-house basis with no ageing etc. I also use Twallans mods- story progression, overwatch, error trap and master controller. They have transformed my game.

I'm not a designer either, I usually plonk my families into pre made houses and poach them from other worlds when I've run out of properties. I also never make my own sims, I only ever use pre made sims, and I love them. I love learning about their stories and their traits, it's brilliant. I've recreated Pleasantview from TS2 in one world - with the Goths, the Pleasants, Burbs, Newbies, Landgraabs etc etc. grin

Jenda Sun 25-May-14 00:31:37

Me! Am 25. Mainly love it for the building houses. Its my guilty secret!

juneybean Sun 25-May-14 00:32:10

I love building houses, I waste all my energy on the house building then when its done I can't be arsed to the play with the family.

friginilla Sun 25-May-14 00:33:30

I love the sims but haven't been able to play it for yonks I was a hardcore original sims 1-2 fan and dabbled with some of the expansion packs but found they used to crash the game (crappy pc probably)
I have been looking sims 3 up today actually but my laptop's spec isn't good enough for it sad
I always needed a good desktop for that game anyway! Will have to invest in one (and squeeze it in to my tiny house somewhere)

I play on a MacBook Pro at the minute, when I lived at home I used to play on my mums swanky desktop and it was fab. I too must invest one day!

juneybean Sun 25-May-14 00:38:01

Here are my most recent builds

Those are stunning juney, I love the middle one especially.

Here's my current sim - daughter of Bebe Hart from Sunset. Valley and her spitting image - at university!

Coumarin Sun 25-May-14 00:54:13

Another Sims fan here. I love the building and design part.

I haven't played it in a long time for some reason. I am tempted to dig it out now I've seen this thread.

It's funny how a game can be played so differently. So many people are brilliant designers and spend their time designing. I know lots of people play challenges like a legacy or a dynasty. I play for the story and also love playing with the genetics, mixing townies from different worlds etc

Excited to see so many others are sims players too smile

LokiTheCynicalCat Sun 25-May-14 01:13:50

31 and a sims fan from the beginning!

I play it in bursts of a few hours for several days and then nothing for months. I last bought the Island Paradise expansion which is a wonderful idea with added gameplay but so laggy it's not worth playing. I am a keen scuba diver myself so I wanted to build a dive site but it's not a simple or easy lot to add. I finally built one only for it to bug out when my sim even looks at it. Not fun. I hope they patch that one massively soon.

Ambitions is a great expansion, probably the best of them, though I love sending my sims to France on wine tasting tours with WA. And university was my favourite in Sims 2.

I've only just started modding since island paradise, but haven't really gotten the hang of it yet so I don't know how best to use the mods I have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now