Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Do you think DH should buy himself a PSP?

(10 Posts)
nickelbabe Thu 10-Jan-13 16:29:01

Bearing in mind that he has a job, and I don't, but I've just ordered myself a gotab 7" (purely for research purposes - it's a tablet/ereader that's available to buy through my shop, and I thought it would be an idea to have one so that I can fully recommend and talk about it when people want to buy them - it also means that i can help them if they don't know how to use it)

anyway, DH was complaining that he never gets to do fun things like play on his Playstation because he's never at home.
he suggested a PSP, and I said that was a good idea, and that he should buy one.
now he's umming and ahhing and playing on my very ancient Gameboy.

so, MN Jury, should he get a PSP?

NewYearNewNagoo Thu 10-Jan-13 16:32:23

I have a DS. It's a nice little toy, and in principle it's a good idea for grown ups to be able to get downtime. I also like to read on my iphone and play games smile

In practice I have zero experience of a PSP. isn't it called a new name now?

nickelbabe Thu 10-Jan-13 16:37:41

i think there is another sony PS toy, but the PSP is still a PSP (i checked the website)
smile

I agree about the downtime.
he's always complaining he's too tired or too busy.
so he could do this while he's having his lunch.

practising his organ could be fitted in somewhere hmm
(he complains he keeps falling asleep on the bench!)

Snorbs Thu 10-Jan-13 16:42:15

The PSP is a dying platform. The original version was a moderate if not rip-roaring success but every subsequent update has been less well-received because of Sony's inexorable and long-held desire to piss off its customer base.

The latest attempt is the PS Vita. By itself it's a nice enough piece of kit but it has spectacularly failed to set the industry alight and to say sales have been mediocre is being generous. With a small customer base it's difficult for Sony to get developers interested. Without many developers you're not going to get sufficient games to make the platform worthwhile.

Portable gaming at the moment is either the Nintendo 3DS (the XL version is supposed to be pretty good) or on phones. The PS Vita is as expensive as a phone but without being able to do all the other things a phone can do. Sony hasn't realised this yet.

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 16:44:21

my dh got one a few years ago. He likes video games, plays ps3 occassionally, but I think the PSP got used twice? It's really nto that good. We ended up boxing it up again for ds1's birthday, thinking he would like it but he hasn't used it that much neither.

ihearsounds Thu 10-Jan-13 16:50:55

I enjoy playing the psp, had it for years now. But I am not a man lol. I hate the 3ds, its more holographic and so has to be held perfectly still otherwise the picture moves, its really weird.

nickelbabe Thu 10-Jan-13 17:34:40

i think he likes the fact that the controls are the same as the PS2, and the nintendo looks weird -i don't think he likes the flip out thing, iyswim.

i'll wait for some more comments - Snorbs - your post has got me doubting now, so thank you smile

nickelbabe Thu 10-Jan-13 22:34:44

bump for the evening crowd.
or night.
didn't realise it was so late!

Ours mostly gathers dust, DH uses his Nintendo 3DS instead. There seems to be very little out there for the PSP.

Oh and you can turn the 3D off on the 3DS.
I don't like the screen size on the standard but the XL is much easier on the eye.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now