Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Which handheld games console?

(8 Posts)
Whimseyinwellies Wed 14-Nov-12 09:44:27

I am completely clueless and mostly disinterested in computer games thingies. Planning to get one each for twins aged 6 (mostly to regain control of my iPad). Am flummoxed. iPod touch a bit more expensive but games cheaper and easy to access. DS seems popular with kids I know but games seem expensive. Which is better? Is the age an issue which could help to decide between the two? Is "what their friends are doing" a significant consideration?

concernedchild123 Thu 04-Jul-13 10:37:26

Get them a Gameboy and Pokémon. Trust me they'll love it. smile

concernedchild123 Thu 04-Jul-13 10:39:16

Oh and if you get them each a gameboy, pokémon and a link cable so they can connect their gameboys they can trade Pokémon and stuff smile it's great fun :D

ChunkyPickle Thu 04-Jul-13 10:41:15

Second the DS/Gameboy - my not quite 3 year old is happy attempting to play sonic or Super Mario! The games on the ipods/ipads aren't so engrossing, and are more likely to try to make you make in-app purchases which can get expensive.

You can get the games much cheaper second hand in those pawn-shop type places, or even Asda!

Theselittlelightsofmine Thu 04-Jul-13 10:57:46

PS Vita

Weegiemum Thu 04-Jul-13 11:28:52

Other idea I'd have is a kindle fire. Dd2 (9) has one and both reads on it and plays games.

BadLad Thu 11-Jul-13 05:32:31

The DSi is rubbish.

Get a DS Lite (and have the option of playing both DS and Gameboy Advance games), or get a 3DS (to play both DS and 3DS games).

The DSi only plays DS games.

PSP is a better bet than PSVita at the moment, unless you are going to make a lot of use of the PlayStation online shop.

GameHub Sat 03-Aug-13 14:56:06

Its time to retake control of your Ipad! smile I am super-interested in computer game thingies, so lets see if I can help you.

For 6yo, I would recommend a Nintendo DS. They are ideal for this age range: bright, colourful hardware and games, very easy to use, and quite sturdy little units (it can be dropped off the end of the kitchen table with no ill effects!) The DS will grow with them as they age, its not one of those things that they decide is "babyish" and is likely to be a device that is also owned by their friends, allowing them to play together and be social. A DS Lite is the older model, but with plenty of options for games. The current generation are the DSi, and the 3DS, which has 3D graphics that stand out the screen. Nintendo's own website has a handy comparison chart for you to decide which one suits you best.

I would not recommend a Playstation Vita, the primary reason being that it will simply be too big for their hands. Its uncomfortable for me, and Im twenty, with great dinnerplates for hands! Its a much more adult device, I would be looking at maybe a 12 or 13 yo. An older child would get much more out the features, eg the graphics, big glass screen and 3 different input methods. I feel a 6yo would struggle with a Vita.

Ipod touch would be a possibility, because you are familiar with the hardware (from owning an ipad). The games are cheaper, and you have additional functionality such as music and so on, buuuut, you will get sucked into having to upgrade frequently when your children cotten on to next-Apple-product-itis, and Apple products are pretty delicate when knocked on the corners. You also need to go through the rigmarole of keeping it up to date and locking down the controls to prevent in-app purchases backrupting your credit card!

A Gameboy is a vintage option! Older equipment is cheaper, but you will have all the associated problems of trying to find games for it, Ebay & Charity shops are your friend and I worry that after all that work sourcing games, at around 7 or 8, they will start wanting a "proper" handheld like thier friends have.

Unfortunately, no matter which handheld you go for, you will find the games to be fairly expensive if you are used to paying £3 tops for Ipad games. £25 per game would be a good deal for a Vita or DS. If you would like some suggestions for games, I would be happy to help pick out some ideas. What kind of things do they like: builing things, puzzles, stories, animals, Disney, art? Nintendo also did a few superb quality educational games for learning foreign languages for the DS family.

Hope that helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now