Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

No clue what games console to buy for DH - HELP

(9 Posts)
quietlysuggests Fri 10-Dec-10 14:30:55

We have none in the house, totally new to it all. DH mad into computers, usually has a strong opinion on these things, usually does research into new products he buys. So this is my research: MN decide for me.
X box? (which one) Play station (which one) or WII?
I think DH will like driving/ rallying games, maybe some fighting ones (mild world war types, not really violent ones). We have little children who I presume in a couple of years will be into whatever it is children play.
Where do I start?
Any advice?

jenroy29 Fri 10-Dec-10 19:07:23

Get him an xbox 360 250gb if you can afford. Best games for lads. But not really a lot of choice for little children, you'd probably want a wii for them, games like Dora the Explorer etc.

DilysPrice Fri 10-Dec-10 19:21:57

I think you have to forego the surprise and ask him, it would be gutting to spend hundreds of quid and discover that he's set his heart on a game that's only on another console.
Wii is "best" for family games, but if you get one of the other systems then there will still be lots of suitable games available (eg all the Lego games are available for Playstation AFAIK, and there are lots of Rock Band type games for all the systems).

quietlysuggests Fri 10-Dec-10 20:47:50

Brilliant thanks for the advice. I;m veering toward x box now but just in case, as you say he might have a preference so I've had one of his friends tell him that she is thinking of getting one for her husband and can my DH tell her which one to get. Sneaky but brilliant I think you'd agree? So hopefully that'll work and I get his opinion but keep the suprise.

DilysPrice Fri 10-Dec-10 20:53:32

Ooh, cunning! good luck.

Ryoko Sat 11-Dec-10 13:36:04

"driving/ rallying games, maybe some fighting ones (mild world war types, not really violent ones)"

What?, what do you call a fighting game?
A beat em up (2d or 3d) where people face each other one on one and participate in fisty cuffs ala Street Fighter?. or a scrolling beat em up where you walk around looking for camp looking guys and S&M ladies to beat up ala Splatterhouse?.

or do you not mean a fighting game? do you mean a shooting game?, what kind?, a shoot em up where you pilot a ship and shoot others ala R-type?, a flight sim where you partake of dog fights in real war situations ala Ace Combat?.

Do you mean a first or third person shooter ala Call of Duty or Gears of War?.

Or do you mean a real time strategy game where you command an entire army in battle ala Total War?.

quietlysuggests Wed 15-Dec-10 09:37:29

Ryoko - I have NO CLUE
I've seen him play a colin mc crae rallying game on his pc and a world war shoot the german soldiers one (not realistic or graphic if thats important?)
He's in his 40s I cant see him having the time to get massively into it, but he loves gadgets so will appreciate it. I usually rely on him to choose technology/ gadgets etc but last christmas i bought him a kitchen gadget which he loves so I'm inspired to try a games console. Beyond that I really dont know.
Young lad in shop says x box is way more popular so go for it.
One adult I know who has play staion says go for it.
Then is there a difference between ps3 and ps slim?
I'm off to the shop to try to get a sense of them then will probably but online?
I asked our friend to try to suss him out but he's been so busy at work he hasn't had the chance so I'm trying to decide myself.

quietlysuggests Wed 15-Dec-10 09:39:11

That should read I will probably buy online. Advice appreciated but you are talking to a non geeky person who is coming to you with no prior knowledge.

quietlysuggests Wed 15-Dec-10 14:53:07

t

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now