Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are you letting your child have the flu vaccine?

(66 Posts)
caroline29woohooo Thu 13-Oct-16 08:06:20

I got a letter through from GP inviting my toddler for the flu vaccine. I thought it was a fab idea until my husband suggested we don't bother as it's better for the body to fight the Flu naturally. What is everyone's thoughts on the Flu vaccine?

Motherwithflaws Thu 13-Oct-16 08:09:11

My 5 year old had it last week and has had it for the past 3 years. No hesitation, flu is horrible.

NerrSnerr Thu 13-Oct-16 08:18:34

My friend works in a children's high dependency ward. She has witnessed otherwise healthy children (so had no underlying health issues) dying from flu. That's enough for me to get it done. I know it won't eliminate the risk but hopefully it will reduce it.

Whatabloodyidiot1 Thu 13-Oct-16 08:21:28

It's not a vaccine, it's a spray up the nose, and yes, my 2 will be having it. Having seen my baby hospitalised and on oxygen due to complications from flu I just don't see why you wouldn't.
It doesn't stop you contracting flu btw, but it certainly makes it less severe if you do.
Why on earth would your husband want to watch your toddler 'fighting off' flu if he doesn't have to??

UnoriginalNN Thu 13-Oct-16 08:21:46

Just had it done for DD. Tbh I was in two minds (me and DH have only ever had it once each) and she's been v poorly since which has been shit. I suppose she's one of the unlucky ones though. I am very pro-vax though I still feel a bit guilty about inflicting this on her in a roundabout way

Ginmakesitallok Thu 13-Oct-16 08:21:47

Why does your dp think it's better to fight it naturally? ??

AuntieStella Thu 13-Oct-16 08:22:04

My DC are not the right age to qualify for one free on NHS, and you can't normally just buy one in pharmacies until the patient is 16.

So no, mine won't be getting it this year, but that's an availability issue, not a comment on desirability of the jab.

Has your DH actually weighed up the rates of complications from the flu (including deaths) with adverse effects of the jab? Which peer-reviewed papers and which sources of stats did he use?

Or is he just repeating woo?

Janek Thu 13-Oct-16 08:23:29

I thought a vaccine helped you fight it off naturally...

foxessocks Thu 13-Oct-16 08:26:30

My dd is 2.5 and I haven't had a letter or anything from my gp...does she qualify? I'd definitely get it done as flu can be very serious . I think I'll check with my gp and see what's happening as they're normally good at reminders for stuff like this.

caroline29woohooo Thu 13-Oct-16 08:32:56

We are not anti vaccine. She has had them all so far. I am totally for them but husband just worried it stops your body creating anti bodies to fight a virus in future? I personally think it's a fab idea lol

SnugglySnerd Thu 13-Oct-16 08:35:14

A vaccine works by getting your body to make antibodies. I think your husband needs a biology lesson!

Figgygal Thu 13-Oct-16 08:36:13

Ds has had it so have I as am pregnant.

'Has your dh ever had flu? Proper flu? It can kill you it had me on my arse for 3 weeks and I pulled muscles in my chest which still hurt in cold for years after god knows what it would do to a child. I'd never not have ds have it.

whifflesqueak Thu 13-Oct-16 08:37:15

your husband needs to educate himself on how vaccines and viruses work.

flu kills and kids are super spreaders.

Musicinthe00ssucks Thu 13-Oct-16 08:38:50

Yes. My eldest has had it for the last two years and my youngest will be having it as well this year.

A friend lost her 3 year old daughter to the flu so no way would I take chances where I don't have to.

ayeokthen Thu 13-Oct-16 08:41:54

Yes, because I had swine flu a few years ago and nearly died.

MrsMulder Thu 13-Oct-16 08:49:02

My kids are getting it. I work in paediatric a&e and saw a few really nasty cases of the flu last year, it's a no brainer for me. I have already had mine

Spam88 Thu 13-Oct-16 08:49:53

Yeah I think fundamentally your DH just doesn't understand how vaccines work confused You produce antibodies in exactly the same way as you would if you were exposed to the virus normally, but the virus is in a form that it can't harm you. I can't understand why he thinks this is any different to all the other vaccinations? I guess he just doesn't think flu is serious?

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 13-Oct-16 11:56:04

The nasal flu vaccine has 4 strains including swine flu from 2009, and three others from 2008, 2013 and 2014. I can't check right now but these are very similar to the previous years vaccine despite the repeated mantra that the flu strains are different every year which is why we need the vaccine every year and the defense when flu rates are still high that the viruses mutate which is why the vaccine was not effective.

The US has withdrawn the use of the vaccine for this year. It was not deemed to be effective.

The vaccine is live and sheds for up to 4 weeks and to use a previous posters words, we spray it up the nose of the 'super spreaders'.

Last year the mortality rates in the period January to March increased versus the previous year largely due to flu and respiratory infections.

Soubriquet Thu 13-Oct-16 12:00:58

Can you only be eligible if you get a letter?

I want my two doing

I've had a child on oxygen because she had bronchitis. Flu would wreck her. She already had asthma with a bad cold

Soubriquet Thu 13-Oct-16 12:04:13

Just checked the NHS website

The oldest(the one who needs it really) is eligible. The youngest isn't

Said children born between 1 September 2011 and August 31 2014 can have it

pugsake Thu 13-Oct-16 12:07:46

Yes I'm getting DD2 done.
I had flu last year it was horrendous never been as bad in my life. I've had mine done already and we are paying for DH's done.

Soubriquet Thu 13-Oct-16 12:10:09

Dd is booked grin

Next Friday at 3.15.

Thanks OP for reminding me

carrotcakecupcake Thu 13-Oct-16 12:12:37

My DS is having it, as am I as I'm PG. As other have said, it might be worth explaining to DH how vaccines work?? Flu can be really nasty and I think there's a lot to be said for herd immunity those most vulnerable.

smEGGontoast Thu 13-Oct-16 12:15:35

I've just had 4 and 5 year old done. Husband had the jab and I'm having one too (he has a heart problem and I am pregnant)

Flu can knock even the most sturdy and stoic adult off their feet. I had swine flu in 2009 whilst pregnant and it was absolutely terrifying. I had a twisted gullet and thought I might lose my baby.

So yes, have it done.

Loraline Thu 13-Oct-16 12:19:41

My GP has a walk in clinic for eligible people so ds is going down on Saturday morning. I've booked to have a jab myself in Boots next week. Had flu a few years ago and was SO sick and miserable. I just lay in bed and cried for days. Got an ebf 6 month old to look after so don't fancy getting flu!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now