Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR booster question

(3 Posts)
Barmymummy1 Sun 18-Sep-16 13:00:56

Hi, myself and my daughter have a history of bad reactions to vaccinations, when she was 1 we went privately for her to have just the measles vaccine instead of the MMR.

Now we're getting letters from the docs surgery for her to have the MMR booster, would she need to go back and have the single measles jab again, or would you take the majority chance that the first one gave her immunity and not bother with a second?

My other question is about the diphtheria and tetanus booster jabs they give at the same time as the MMR booster at my surgery. Should I book her in for just these or would the immunity from her baby jabs be enough to not need boosters of these?

I don't want to put her at risk of an adverse reaction again unless I really have to because the argument for outweights the negative, thanks x

butterfly92 Wed 28-Sep-16 07:20:10

I wouldn't get the mmr jab tell your doctors you aren't letting her have it but get the tetanus and diphtheria jab.

scaevola Wed 28-Sep-16 07:37:34

A second immunisation containing the measles component may be needed. Only a blood test will establish this.

You need reinforcing doses of DPT to complete the full course (and possible additional doses in later life if particular risks are encountered).

If you decline the full course, then yes her immunity may well wear off in a much shorter time than expected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now