Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu Vacine 2016

(13 Posts)
fairydusty Tue 06-Sep-16 20:01:24

We received our letter in today regarding the children's flu vaccines.

I am trying to find some unbiased research in relation to the vaccine the majority of the sites i has looked at are american and they don't seem to be offering the nasal spray anymore as they have claimed it is not effective.

If anyone has a good source please share

thanks in advance

xx

BurnTheBlackSuit Tue 06-Sep-16 20:03:16

Who is not doing nasal sprays anymore? US or UK?

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Tue 06-Sep-16 20:05:13

The U.K. seems to be doing nasal spray still.

pollyblack Tue 06-Sep-16 20:06:29

We are offered the nasal spray in scotland

TheJunctionBaby Mon 12-Sep-16 07:32:09

The nasal spray was withdrawn in the US because studies showed it to be just 3% effective.

I won't be getting the vaccine for my child and will be keeping them off school if it's done during term time because, as a live virus, it sheds. I don't think mass vaccination with a live virus should be done in schools. I don't want my child exposed to a class full of children shedding flu virus all around. And for those that are immunocompromised it's particularly a frightening prospect

www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/s0622-laiv-flu.html

scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13735536_10208974959705646_8279171767558409057_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

TheJunctionBaby Mon 12-Sep-16 07:40:36

Reversion of LAIV into pathogenic virus:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27440882/

Shurelyshomemistake Fri 23-Sep-16 22:47:24

Watching with interest as we have also had the letter home today.

I am about as far from antivaxx as you can get, and my kids generally have absolutely everything, but I did see that the CDC had said it was not recommending the flu sniff any more.

On the other hand, if they're 'doing' others in the class/ school at the same time my rational head tells me to get DS done because there is a small risk of him contracting actual flu from shedding classmates.

Can someone who understands this stuff give an informed, scientifically grounded view please? no-one quoting n*turalnews or merc*la need apply, thank you

Y0uCann0tBeSer10us Sat 24-Sep-16 08:41:22

The CDC are withdrawing the nasal flu vaccine because (they say) they have data showing it doesn't work, and are recommending the inactive jag instead. The JCVI (in the UK) have released a statement expressing their confusion as their data shows that it does work, and so they still recommend its use, but that it should continue to be monitored for various reasons. Traditionally it was the nasal one that was more effective (although neither were great), especially in children, although being a live virus the potential side effects are worse. The whole thing is very odd as the US are most definitely not shy when it comes to vaccines and have one of the fullest schedules in the world. I wonder if the data showing possible reversion to a pathogenic strain is a factor, but that's just speculation.

shurly the other kids will be shedding the vaccine strains and so this is what they might pass on your ds (the chances are a few percent iirc). If you got him vaccinated he'd be exposed to the same strains. (This is assuming that the virus doesn't revert to a pathogenic strain as described in the links above, but I'm not aware of a lot of data on this thus far.)

Personally we don't get the nasal flu vaccine (we do get the other vaccines). This is because Ds is more likely than most to have seizures with flu being a suspected trigger, and this particular jag isn't primarily for the benefit of the kids anyway, but is to stop them passing it on the elderly relatives (who are entitled to their own anyway).

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Sat 24-Sep-16 09:00:41

I am not sure about statistics of the Vaccinations but we nearly lost Dd2 to swine flu in 2010. Ds2 had been vaccinated by nasal spray that year and Dh and me were both vaccinated by injection. None of us who were vaccinated got the swine flu just poor Dd2.

BasinHaircut Sat 24-Sep-16 09:10:42

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/551676/Childhood_flu_programme_information_for_healthcare_practitioners.pdf

Info on viral shedding and the 'must' when vaccinations are taking place.

US data says that the LAIV nasal spray is ineffective and it's now not the recommended vaccine in the US. Although it is still FDA approved so it's not as if they are saying it is dangerous and it will still be used to some degree.

UK, Canadian and Finnish data found it effective last season and if you want to know the best UK source of advice on this then look at: www.gov.uk/government/publications/jcvi-statement-on-the-nasal-spray-flu-vaccine

BasinHaircut Sat 24-Sep-16 09:11:02

*mist, not must!

TheJunctionBaby Sat 24-Sep-16 10:30:16

shurleys the links I provided will answer your questions and are from respected sources

TheJunctionBaby Sat 24-Sep-16 10:38:33

I just moved here from canada and the flu vaccine for 2015-2016 was pretty much deemed a failure because it didn't protect against the most common strains that were circulating. So people got their shots and sprays and still got sick.

www.cbc.ca/beta/news/health/flu-vaccine-only-23-effective-in-u-s-even-less-effective-in-canada-1.2902091

Best protection against the flu spreading would be if people observed much more stringent hand washing and coughing/sneezing into tissues and staying home if unwell. High dose vitamin c and vit d3 supplementation is also very effective in boosting the immune system to cope with the germ onslaught

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now