Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Whooping cough...anyone else??

(5 Posts)
Mum2twoboys58 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:29:38

Hi everyone. I am convinced i have whooping cough..the gasping for breath, streaming eyes, cant breath or speak when i cough..but otherwize feel ok?
Went to doctors yesterday to almost be laughed out of the room at my suggestion. Chest sounded clear and all else looked ok..so apparently i cant have this? I cant stress enough how scary these coughs are..
Anyone with any experience of whooping cough..how do i know if i have it when no one taking me seriously?😕

Woopsiedaisy Fri 19-Aug-16 17:46:44

You will hear the whoop at the end of the cough.

In my experience (DD had it at 2) the whoop was unmissable. She did also have streaming eyes and was gasping for breath but it was the whoop that diagnosed it.

In those days (70's) it was taken less seiously than now, she wasn't sent to hospital, but we had to steam her bedroom (boiling electric kettle) day and night.

In the end there was so much steam that the wallpaper peeled off the walls, but at least she could breath.

Mum2twoboys58 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:51:43

I definitely have the whoop at the end like when you can finally gasp for breath.
My doctor hasnt heard me cough as sods law i havent coughed when i went for my appointment. ..and he said id have a rash?

bumbleymummy Sat 20-Aug-16 23:09:21

Just saw this thread Mum2 but I've commented on your other one.

Woopsie - the whoop isn't always there, particularly in adults.

butterfly92 Thu 22-Sep-16 08:43:30

Record yourself when you have the cough then show it to your GP. Get them to come out to you and try and stay isolated if you can because if you've got it you'll be spreading it to other vulnerable people, especially babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now