Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Did anyone opt out of rotavirus second dose?

(19 Posts)
GothicRainbow Thu 02-Jun-16 10:13:14

I took my 10 week old DS2 for his 8 week vaccinations yesterday and since then his previously controlled silent reflux has gone crazy.

He's being incredibly fussy on his bottles to the point of refusing them. He was happily taking 6oz and now we're struggling to get 3oz in him. His wind which had calmed right down in now in overdrive too and causing him a lot of discomfort.

So gutted that he's now gone back to how he was before we started treating his reflux.

I'm strongly leaning towards opting out of him having the second dose of rotavirus as I think this is the vaccine causing these issues and don't think his system could handle it.

SweetElizaRose Thu 02-Jun-16 12:25:00

Well my nurse told me that one dose is nearly as effective as two and they give the second dose in case babies have spit it out the first time? However she was also wrong about when they can have it (told me first dose anytime up to 18 weeks) and I delayed it due to dd having reflux and now she can't have it at all!

GothicRainbow Thu 02-Jun-16 18:47:05

Do you think she was talking sense about the second dose?? My DS2 just seems so unhappy that I'm not sure I can face going through it all again in a few weeks time

SweetElizaRose Thu 02-Jun-16 19:01:14

I think you may find he's not as bad after the second dose abyway. I delayed it because a couple of my friends found the same as you but their babies weren't as bad second time round. Dd was prem and refluxy and an absolute nightmare to feed which is why I delayed it but if the nurse hadn't told me I could I would have given it as now I've left her vulnerable to the actual virus...
If you look online studies suggest one dose is nearly as effective as two.

SweetElizaRose Thu 02-Jun-16 19:02:29

One of my friends found it made her baby temporarily lactose intolerant. But then the virus can do that if you catch it anyway.

scaredofthecity Thu 02-Jun-16 19:07:25

My DS had only the first one as he reacted so horrendously and I couldn't put us all through it again. Interestingly enough he had (and still has now) silent reflux.

Our house went down with a nasty bug a few months ago and he had only 1 episode of diarrhea compared with the rest of us who really suffered (and we're pretty sure it came from him via a baby group) so it must have done something!

43percentburnt Thu 02-Jun-16 19:19:59

I have twins, one baby had green poo for 2 days after the second dose, baby 2 had green poo for 3 weeks. The green poo began at the same time. Strangely she now vomits 6 or 7 times a day, (she has always been a little bit sick), now it is vast quantities and sometimes curdled. They are both ebf.

We considered going to the gp but I doubt they would even link it to rotavirus. This thread has made me wonder if there is a link.

SweetElizaRose Thu 02-Jun-16 19:46:14

Anecdotally but I took dd to see a cranial osteopath to try and help with her reflux and the CO said the drops cause problems in a lot of babies she sees, especially reflux babies.
I'd have still given them to dd if it hadn't been too late though, as now I'm worried about the virus itself! Ds is 7 and if he had it I never noticed - he's only ever had two mild tummy bugs (touches wood) so I'm hoping dd will be the same...

Cakescakescakes Thu 02-Jun-16 19:50:42

What medication is he on? We were able to double ds2's omeprazole for a week after the rotavirus vaccine second time round which helped enormously. Also he was much bigger for the second one which helped too.

GothicRainbow Thu 02-Jun-16 20:29:25

We've been seeing a cranial osteopath too, saw him today and he recommended that we have the second dose but we don't have it at the same time as the other injections but have it a couple of weeks after separately. He thinks having all vaccines in one hit as been too much for DS2.

We did have DS2 on ranitidine for a while but he reacted badly to it and the trapped wind it caused was actually worse than the reflux! We're now solely on gaviscon and keeping it at 1 sachet per bottle so DS2 doesn't get too constipated. I think we'll just have to ride this out and hope it's not prolonged upset.

Will definitely be considering my C.O's suggestion of having it separately.

Natsku Thu 02-Jun-16 20:35:55

How old is your baby Eliza because it seems odd to me that they would say they are too old for it - its recommended to be given between 6 and 15 weeks and the last dose before 32 weeks but that should give plenty of time for the 1st dose to be delayed. They don't even offer it until 12 weeks where I am and I delayed for a couple of weeks as DD was ill and it was no problem.

OP - discuss it with the doctor, they might say its ok to stick with just the 1st dose or might reassure you about the 2nd dose.

SweetElizaRose Thu 02-Jun-16 20:43:31

The first dose has to be by 14 weeks and 6 days.
The nurse told me it was fine up to 18 weeks and both doses by 24 weeks but she was wrong. When I returned they would not give her the vaccination.

SweetElizaRose Thu 02-Jun-16 20:43:58

I took her for her first dose at 16 weeks

SweetElizaRose Thu 02-Jun-16 20:47:04

We delayed because our six week check wasn't until 12 weeks (don't give jabs until check and couldn't get in) and then we had high exposure to chicken pox when dd was 14 weeks so I delayed all vaccinations in case she came down with it which was when the nurse told me it would still be ok to give the rota drops.
I have had PND and health anxiety and the fact dd has not had this vaccination has kept me awake many nights! I had not even heard of rotavirus when I had ds and did not worry about it but I have worried a lot with dd.

Natsku Thu 02-Jun-16 21:10:36

Urgh that sucks. But bear in mind that in 1st world countries rotavirus isn't very dangerous so try not to worry.

SweetElizaRose Thu 02-Jun-16 21:19:45

Not nice though is it? Although as I said I assume ds must have had it at some point and it couldn't have been too awful since I don't remember!

Marsquared Thu 02-Jun-16 21:24:40

My son had terrible reflux. We did first rotavirus and it made it worse. I know this because we did it seperately. Our Paed advised us not to have the next. It's not good for those with gastro issues.

GothicRainbow Fri 03-Jun-16 06:13:38

We're still struggling here, he's reduced his feed amount and is taking nearly an hour to complete a feed where as before it was about 20mins with winding.

If I could know he would have an OK immunity from just one dose I would absolutely not have the second. It's so difficult to know what to do for the best.

lorribaby Wed 08-Jun-16 12:08:05

Hi my dd had her eight week vacs two days ago and she has not been right since. Had to go to out of hours the first night as temp really high and then last night and this morning crying inconsolably. I use carobel and comfort milk which was working great until the vacs. Can't use gaviscon as it constipated her but as I said the carobel was working great. HV just been and said nothing to do with the vacs and just to give some calpol but honestly think it has been caused by either the RV or Men B as her leg was really swollen after. Really worried now for the other ones still to come!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now