Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

8 week old jabs tomorrow, how would you give calpol and any one recently gone through the 8 week jabs?

(10 Posts)
CarrieLouise25 Tue 19-Apr-16 14:58:31

Ok, so I should know what I'm doing with this being my third and all, but my eldest didn't have this many vaccinations in one hit.

My DS2 has his jabs tomorrow. I remember with DD not being able to get the calpol in, she just kept spitting it out.

So, my first question is...any tips for giving calpol to someone so tiny? And secondly, anyone just gone through the 8 week jabs....what were the side effects?

Did you give the calpol before the jabs?

The only reason I ask that is because we had a letter saying you MUST give calpol at least 3 doses because of the new Men B vaccine. Usually we're just told to watch out, and administer calpol if you need to.

Thanks x

slowdownyourneighbours Tue 19-Apr-16 15:02:04

Hi, my little one had his 8 wk jabs last week. We were told to give calpol straight after so I did - once after the visit and then another dose about 6 hrs later because he was crying a lot still. He was fine the next day.

They give you a little syringe now with the bottle, so easy, just aim at his cheek.

Hope that helps

wonkybumcrack Tue 19-Apr-16 15:06:35

They give the first dose of men b at 8 weeks and it does give them a temp so it's best to give it just before u go for injections of straight after.

CarrieLouise25 Tue 19-Apr-16 15:12:14

Thanks slow, that's reassuring smile

That's what I was thinking wonky, I think I want to get it in him beforehand smile

honeysucklejasmine Tue 19-Apr-16 15:16:30

We had ours yesterday. We were asked to give her calpol immediately, and then two more doses at four to six hour intervals.

She was fine for first four hours. Then a grouchy screaming monster for a few hours, then settled down again. She seems fine today, although was a bit sweaty overnight.

I slowly squirted the calpol at her cheek and fed her immediately afterwards to ensure she swallowed it.

CarrieLouise25 Tue 19-Apr-16 15:32:22

Excellent idea honey, we'll do that with feeding straight after.

Glad all ok smile

cudbywestrangers Tue 19-Apr-16 15:46:31

Ds2 had his a couple of weeks ago. And spat out lots of calpol! Next time I will give it just before we go to the surgery. And i'm going to try and get hold of a syringe where the spout sticks out rather than a hole in the middle that comes with the calpol as i think i'll be able to aim better... am sure the pharmacy will have them. The vaccines themselves were no worse than i remember with ds1 though and there was no real reaction after.

CarrieLouise25 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:04:56

Thanks cudby, we are lucky we have a pharmacy at our doctors surgery, so will ask if they have a better syringe smile

Doje Tue 19-Apr-16 16:10:52

All good advice above! Only thing I want to add is watch out for the 16 week jabs! DS2 was fine after the 8 week Men B one, but the 16 week knocked him for six!

Not much you can do about it other than paracetamol mind....

CarrieLouise25 Tue 19-Apr-16 22:24:51

Thanks for the warning doje... can't wait until the vacs are all over smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now