Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chickenpox vaccine

(30 Posts)
MrsOs Wed 24-Feb-16 09:18:09

Who has paid for their children to have the chicken pox jab?? I'm thinking about it. Recently a friends daughter had it and she had them on her eyes etc etc and it was awful so am thinking of getting him the jab

NotWithoutMyMerkin Wed 24-Feb-16 09:22:15

We did for DD (who was 18 months at the time). We had the funds available and I don't want her to go through the discomfort and potentially more serious complications of chickenpox if it could be avoided. Got it done at same time as meningitis b

MrsOs Wed 24-Feb-16 09:42:00

That's what I'm thinking of doing too.. But they say the effects might not last into adult hood

MrsOs Wed 24-Feb-16 09:42:17

Was it one jab??

MrsOs Wed 24-Feb-16 09:44:37

Have you also considered the meningitis acwy vaccine??

Millionprammiles Wed 24-Feb-16 11:10:28

We had dd vaccinated for CP 2 years ago. No side effects and v glad we did it. It was two jabs and cost circa £100 I think.
All my nieces suffer with infected eczema when they had CP and didn't want dd going through the same.

SandunesAndRainclouds Wed 24-Feb-16 11:41:18

You've reminded me I needed to re-book DD's pre-schools. I am going to ask about CP and men while I'm there.

gasbird Wed 24-Feb-16 11:44:41

We did for our two boys. To avoid potential complications.
Worth bearing in mind if you have girls that they will need a booster in early adulthood to boost immunity prior to potential pregnancy
Obviously boys will also need an adult booster too.

2010sll Wed 24-Feb-16 21:50:06

Recently got my DD vaccinated. Age 5. Got her 2nd dose in a few weeks. 2 doses is recommended. £130 per dose but seen it cheaper. Had it done at a private GP. i have done huge amounts of research so feel free to ask questions. There are clinical trials in Bristol, Southampton and London at the moment. www.chickenpoxstudy.org.uk

Re how long it lasts, no one knows. Been around 20 years in USA and approx 30 in Japan. Ongoing studies will reveal whether further doses will be required. As we live in a country where the "wild" disease still circulates, my DD should get boosters from exposure.

Natsku Wed 24-Feb-16 21:55:45

Did the chickenpox and meningitis ACWY for DD this year (5), was told only one jab is sufficient for both jabs but will probably do a booster for both in the teen years.

Blueberry234 Wed 24-Feb-16 21:57:06

Had eldest vaccinated and youngest in the current trial

superzero Wed 24-Feb-16 22:03:12

Yes,vaccinated my 2 older boys aged about 1&2.No complications .They will need boosters in adulthood.
Youngest got chicken pox just before was old enough to be vaccinated and it wasn't actually too bad.

2010sll Wed 24-Feb-16 23:07:59

Some countries have a 2 dose schedule, some only 1.
www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/chickenpox-varicella-vaccine
www.who.int/wer/2014/wer8925.pdf
www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/vaccination.html

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 25-Feb-16 09:04:42

No side effects, 2 doses, think it was £75 per jab

bumbleymummy Fri 26-Feb-16 07:59:53

No, we didn't. My two had cp - typical, straightforward cases with no complications. Aside from the itching, they weren't particularly unwell. We have a huge family - lots of cousins, nephews, nieces and I don't know a single one who has had complications. One child from a toddler class we went to got an infected spot after scratching but she was given antibiotic cream and it cleared up very quickly with no other problems. I think on MN, it seems that there are more complicated cases because people are less likely to talk about the normal, average ones. This can skew things a bit and make it look like the risk of complications is actually higher than it is.

I personally wouldn't give the CP vaccine to children (unless you were trying to protect an immunocompromised sibling/family member) but I do think it could be offered to teenagers/adults who aren't immune. My issue with giving it to children is that boosters may be required to maintain immunity (A booster dose was introduced into the US schedule in 2006 iirc). You do not know when your immunity has waned and you could be left vulnerable as an adult when you are more likely to suffer complications. Just my opinion FWIW.

bumbleymummy Fri 26-Feb-16 08:01:57

Also, if you do need boosters in adulthood, the vaccine is less effective in adults.

SmallGreenBouncyBall Fri 26-Feb-16 08:06:02

we did it.
only one jab (plenty of natural exposure in our part)

eurochick Fri 26-Feb-16 08:49:50

We did it. My reasoning was: why not avoid a disease that is at best unpleasant and uncomfortable if you can?

I had it very mildly. I gave it to my mum who had a severe case and was quite unwell with it. One of the babies in my AN group had an awful case and was hospitalised. A nurse rubbed off her scabs so she is left with hundreds of scars. There can be quite a range of outcomes. The vaccine isn't that expensive and the side effects are mild so I thought we might as well.

2010sll Fri 26-Feb-16 17:17:51

smallgreenboucyball eurochick superzero are you all in the UK?

bumblymummy I do agree with your view but made my decision after a lot of research and speaking with a doctor. But yes, wanning immunity is a concern but as other countries are far further ahead, so hopefully more data in the future. I would have felt very bad if she had been one of the unlucky ones and I could have prevented it. However, I certainly wouldn't blame someone for not vaccinating and their child was very ill with it - especially as it's not on our schedule in the uk.

SmallGreenBouncyBall Fri 26-Feb-16 17:48:30

yes uk.

ditsygal Fri 26-Feb-16 17:56:28

We had it done for our DS - he had 2 jabs.

He has however just had chickenpox now, a year after the jabs! So it isn't a complete protection, but his CP were really mild, he only had about 20 spots and wasn't ill in himself at all.

I still am glad we did it as it at least stopped him getting a worse dose, and I will do it for our next DC.

SauvignonPlonker Fri 26-Feb-16 17:59:39

Yes, vaccinated both DC, as they were premature (DS had oxygen-dependant lung disease). Plus my Father is on long-term steroids & advised not to have contact with CP.

Plus I'd seen colleagues with 2 or 3 young DC struggling to manage absence from work, as their DC all caught the disease separately & required time from work on each occasion.

Considering my childcare costs were strong £1k a month at that time, it was also more cost-effective to vaccinate.

2010sll Mon 29-Feb-16 07:13:30

Blueberry234 Assuming you're allowed to discuss it, I wondered if anything had been mentioned to you re the potential life long immunity etc when you signed up your youngest into the trial. It's the one thing in the back of my mind as we have no herd protection here as it's not a universal vaccination. That said, lots of natural boosting available for sure! Especially this time of year.

ditsygal That's good it was such a mild case.

user1468238615 Mon 11-Jul-16 13:10:52

I took Wilfred to Childrens Immunisation and Medical Centre in Manchester on St John Street they were great and really helpful it is 2 doses 4 weeks appart and it is £110 per dose - 01625 890584

Paddingtonthebear Mon 11-Jul-16 13:18:05

Yes we had DD vaccinated against chicken pox last summer when she was 2.5yrs. It was two injections a month apart. Our GP surgery ordered the vaccines in and we paid just the cost price which was £80 in total. It's a lot more expensive generally, I was quoted £150-£175 by private travel clinics but luckily I managed to persuade my GP surgery to do it.

No regrets, no side affects. It's a highly effective vaccine so hopefully she won't catch CP but if she does it will be very mild.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now