Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Initial vaccines

(4 Posts)
Topsy34 Wed 13-Jan-16 07:17:39

I've been reading up on vaccination for ds2, 8 wks, as I've always been uncomfortable with the amount given in one go.

Anyway, i have got the patient info as well as the medical staff info and that indicates that if 5in1 vaccines are started at 6 months then then they only require 2 doses plus booster rather than 3 starting at 2months.

Now iget its to do with covering babies for whooping cough as a young baby, but why only 2 doses not 3? I can't seem to find anything about that bit.

bumbleymummy Sun 17-Jan-16 21:32:03

IIRC, It has something to do with interference from maternal antibodies at 2 months old. The Pediacel leaflet suggests that 2 doses are enough from 3 months...

"The primary vaccination series consists of 2 or 3 doses of 0.5 ml and may be commenced from 6 weeks of age according to applicable official recommendations. There should be an interval of at least one month between doses. After primary series vaccination with either 2 doses (e.g., 3, 5 months) or 3 doses (e.g., 2, 3, 4 months) of Pediacel, a booster dose should be given at least 6 months after the last priming dose in accordance with applicable official recommendations. "

Topsy34 Mon 18-Jan-16 19:28:37

Thank you, I questioned it today with the nurse and she said its now 2 doses plus booster and this changed last year.

I queried it as the imms booklet the hv gave me said 3 plus booster, so clearly very out of date booklet!

bumbleymummy Mon 18-Jan-16 22:24:26

I didn't realise it had changed Topsy. That's really interesting. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now