Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Alternative to whooping cough vaccine??

(7 Posts)
Bells2307 Fri 08-Jan-16 10:53:32

Hi all, I've found out today I can't have the whooping cough vaccine due to being allergic to the tetanus element of it. I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant. I'm very pro vaccine and was hoping someone knew of an alternative? I've tried googling single vaccine but couldn't find much sad

Sidge Fri 08-Jan-16 11:10:12

In the UK there is no single pertussis vaccination.

When you say you're allergic to the tetanus part, in what way? How do you know you're allergic to it?

Bells2307 Fri 08-Jan-16 11:22:47

Hi, thanks for the response, my whole family on my mums side are allergic, both me and my brother were tested as children. We have a severe reaction which includes major hemorragh and has caused near fatal results in both my mother and an uncle. We do however carry our own antibodies so cannot contract tetanus ourselves (again tested for) useful as we're farmers and have had animals with tetanus on the farm. Any ideas or info greatly received smile

Whatdoidohelp Fri 08-Jan-16 11:35:58

Could a single vaccine be brought in from mainland Europe? A private doctor/GP may be able to arrange this for you.

Sidge Fri 08-Jan-16 11:38:33

Ah. That's very unusual! I think you're out of luck as there is no single vaccine, and all pertussis-containing vaccines also contain tetanus toxoid.

I'd make an appointment to speak to your GP or midwife and ask to be referred for a discussion with an immunologist. It is possible that you won't be able to have the whooping cough vaccine in any form (which is for baby's benefit more than yours) and will need to be extra cautious until baby starts it's own vaccines at 8 weeks.

Bells2307 Fri 08-Jan-16 11:44:38

Thanks, at the moment it's my community midwife that's said no, I've got a hospital consultant appointment coming up so will ask them too, it's really frustrating I've seen videos of babies with whooping cough and it scares the hell out of me! Im also allergic to penicillin and erythromycin again with the added hemorragh bonus but not quite as bad as the tetanus reaction, just praying my husbands genes might stop my allergies being passed on confused

Sidge Fri 08-Jan-16 12:07:24

If it's any consolation the successful pertussis vaccination campaign for pregnant women has reduced cases of neonatal pertussis massively, so with some caution and luck hopefully the risk where you are will be very low smile

If you're very rural the risk may be lower too (but I am no expert, just a practice nurse). Hopefully your consultant can reassure you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now