Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Single Measles Vaccination

(19 Posts)
mamatime14 Wed 25-Nov-15 19:44:19

Hi there

I just want a little advice from anyone who has had the single measles vaccination please.

We are trying to decide between Rouvax and M-Vac but can't find much online about which would be better of the two. Has anyone come across which one is safer / more widely used? It feels like less and less people are going for single measles vaccination now, so I am worried, especially as Rouvax is being discontinued.

Has anyone given a single measles vaccination at 12/13 months and then the MMR at preschool age? (This is what we are planning to do due to personal circumstance).

Thanks in advance for your help & advice! The clinics offering them haven't been that helpful as they say both are fine which doesn't really answer my questions.

Mamatime xx

outputgap Wed 25-Nov-15 22:12:33

We had rouvax from Babyjabs. As far as I can see mvax is the egg free alternative, so if egg allergy isn't an issue, I'd go for rouvax.

mamatime14 Mon 30-Nov-15 09:56:46

Thanks for your reply outputgap.

How did your little one cope with the Rouvax?

outputgap Mon 30-Nov-15 13:38:42

I've had two dcs have the rouvax. Both just the once. I didn't do a booster because it's not really a booster, it's intended to catch those for whom it didn't work first time.

They were completely unphased. No reaction at the time and no reaction afterwards. In contrast with one of their cousins who had a horrible few days after the MMR. (I recommend shoving a new small toy into their hand just at the moment of injection!)

I have recently given them both the new men b vaccine. One had a really sore leg for two days.

I imagine rouvax is the more heavily used one, so all else being equal, I'd plump for that. Good luck!

mamatime14 Mon 30-Nov-15 15:25:58

Thank you! Glad to hear they coped well with the Rouvax.

Can I ask how old they were when you gave it to them? I think you're right that Rouvax is probably more widely used, I just need to look into the ingredients - I'm worried about things like mercury and aluminium etc.

Where did you have it done?

Hopelass Mon 30-Nov-15 15:30:59

Rouvax here too at 14 months ds was absolutely fine, didn't notice any difference in him. We had it done at a private hospital in Manchester.

Littleonesaid Mon 30-Nov-15 15:32:56

My DS also had Rouvax at Babyjabs. He had no side effects at all.

outputgap Mon 30-Nov-15 18:19:33

Babyjabs seem very sensitive to parents' concerns about mercury and so on, so I didn't check, but I bet there is an ingredients list on their website.

Both a bit over one year old I think.

mamatime14 Wed 02-Dec-15 10:19:01

Thank you all for your replies - I really appreciate it.

It sounds like Rouvax is the most widely used. We're finding it hard deciding though - just because it doesn't feel easy going against the grain and giving DD a single vaccine. We're just praying that we're doing the right thing.

gamerchick Wed 02-Dec-15 10:24:54

Why don't you just give the mmr if you're planning on it later on confused

mamatime14 Mon 07-Dec-15 09:51:36

After a lot of research we have decided that we are not happy giving the MMR at this stage and feel happier giving it to her when she is 3 years old. It has not been an easy decision seeing as every country in the world gives it and most 12 months old have it.

But we're listening to our guts which I suppose you have to do? I've literally been housebound with DD the last month while we try to make this decision. It's horrible sad

outputgap Mon 07-Dec-15 23:47:03

Why housebound op? Is there a local measles outbreak? If so, you should just nip out and get the single vaccine pronto if you can't face the MMR.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 07-Dec-15 23:49:42

Whats the problem with MMR?

bruffin Tue 08-Dec-15 00:14:26

After a lot of research we have decided that we are not happy giving the MMR at this stage and feel happier giving it to her when she is 3 years old
Where did you do your research . Honestly if you had done your research, you would know that

1. singles are not safer,
2. the only reason the that mmr is not given earlier than 12 months is because of effectiveness, not because it is safer to give older. There is no reason whatsoever to wait until 3 years old.
3. The only doctors that recommend single jabs, make money from single jabs ie Babyjabs and here. They pray on parents fears .
Mercury was never in MMR and there is no evidence that it wasnt safe anyway and the amount of aluminium in vaccines are well within guidelines

LittleBearPad Tue 08-Dec-15 00:34:31

Why housebound?

BessieBlount Tue 08-Dec-15 00:43:51

My 12 snd10yr old DSs both had single jabs. I cannot remember which one but neither had any issues at all. We had them done at Breakspear hospital in Hemel. They did not have a booster as they had the skin test instead which showed they were still immune to all 3 and as a pp has mentioned it's not actually a booster but rather it's to catch all those children who for whatever reason didn't pick up immunity first time around,

mamatime14 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:47:38

Thanks for your replies - and thanks to bruffin for sending me those links from the ASA.

I've been at home mostly because I suffer from terrible anxiety - more specifically health anxiety. So all of this has just been too much. I want to protect DD from both the disease and the vax. But I think I've read too much about the MMR and problems it can potentially cause in a small number of children.

Thanks for the info about Breakspere BessieBlount - maybe we'll try them. Or SurreyGP I've heard are good as well. We've heard that the Serum Institute of India vaccine has less recorded reactions - so maybe we'll give that one?

outputgap Wed 09-Dec-15 00:59:31

Have you had any treatment for the health anxiety? There's another thread at the moment about it, and how CBT hasn't worked for that person, but CBT can be very effective.

I think either vaccine will be fine. I know you're trying hard to do the right thing by your child, but go easy on yourself here too.

mamatime14 Fri 11-Dec-15 18:37:30

Thank you outputgap, I appreciate you writing back. I will have a look at that thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now