Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Teenager MenACWY

(6 Posts)
tumpymummy Thu 17-Sep-15 10:48:07

My teenage Ds is being offered the new MenACWY vaccine through school. My inclination is to give consent as meningitis scares me. However as this is a new vaccine there doesn't seem to be much info out there about it or any long term side effects. Any thoughts?

bruffin Fri 18-Sep-15 11:35:22

here is more info, if you are worried I would contact them if you are worried
My ds had it a few weeks ago as he is off to uni next week. He had a headache for a day. There have been a few threads by freshers parents and a few had a headache but that was it.

A young lad in my office recently had meningitis and was off for work for quite a while and still wasnt right when he got back.

bruffin Fri 18-Sep-15 11:36:54

sorry link that works to the Oxford Vaccine Group who do a lot of vaccine research

bruffin Fri 18-Sep-15 13:58:23

and more info

bruffin Fri 18-Sep-15 14:11:15

and one last one

tumpymummy Sun 20-Sep-15 15:51:54

Thanks 'bruffin' that's really useful. I have decided to give consent since I have discovered that DS actually had a MenC vaccine last year when we went to asia and had no bad reactions to it. Meningitis is such a scary illness that I would prefer that he is protected against it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now