Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I need the whooping cough vaccine again?

(5 Posts)
Littleturkish Mon 21-Jul-14 11:12:52

I was in the first lot of pregnant women who were offered the whooping cough vaccine to pass on the immunity to their unborn child, I'm pregnant again- will my immunity still pass to the baby or do I need the vaccine again?

I'm think I need to have it again, as otherwise all immunities would be passed on in utero?

Sorry I've tried googling but not had any luck.

Rosewind Mon 21-Jul-14 12:46:23

The information from the HPA is:
"The purpose of the temporary maternal pertussis vaccination programme is to boost immunity in women in late pregnancy so that pertussis antibodies are passed from mother to baby to passively protect infants in the first months of life before they reach the age of routine infant vaccination. This is achieved by vaccinating pregnant women from 28 weeks of gestation in order to maximise the transplacental transfer of pertussis antibodies. Therefore, it is important for all women to be offered the pertussis vaccine during each pregnancy whilst the temporary programme is in place."
www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1317136400742
So, yes, during each pregnancy.
Cheers,
Rosewind

Littleturkish Mon 21-Jul-14 19:14:30

That's brilliant, Rosewind- thanks for finding and decoding that for me!

LittlePeasMummy1 Fri 22-Aug-14 16:51:58

Bit late to the party, but in case anyone else is reading, also further information here:

www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Boostrix-IPV/

Reepits Mon 25-Aug-14 22:04:26

Yes but your getting extra doses of tetanus and other diseases.

The rule for tetanus is five for life. Also vaccines last ten years.

I would be really careful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now