Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Very worried about hygiene during chickenpox vaccination

(5 Posts)
MillieH30 Fri 11-Jul-14 18:19:25

i took my DD to be vaccinated this afternoon. I was pretty stressed as other vaccinations have been very traumatic (last time she screamed for 2 hours).

I was so busy focusing on DD and it all happened so quickly, that it was only after we left that I realised that there were quite a few omissions that, on reflection, have really worried me. Firstly, I didn't see the doctor wash his hands before getting up from his computer and he didn't wear gloves. He also touched the shaft of the needle before it went in. There was also no alcohol rub used on her leg before administering the injection.

The vaccine was also lying on the side (ie not refrigerated) when we went in.

Should I be worried about this, or is it normal? I've tried to call since to speak to the doctor about it, but they are now closed. Am panicking that I wasn't vigilant enough and she might have caught something nasty. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Adikia Fri 11-Jul-14 22:58:22

my doctor has always got the vaccine out and put it on the side before the patient comes in and I don't remember them ever having washed their hands, they've usually wiped the leg though and never touched the shaft of the needle.

CatherinaJTV Mon 14-Jul-14 16:24:16

Hi Millie - how are things looking today?

sashh Sun 20-Jul-14 09:25:24

Did the vaccine need to be refrigerated? Should it be warmed up before use? Is it one that it doesn't matter if it is warm or cold but warm is less painful?

Did your child need an alcohol wipe?

There is a lot of evidence that although alcohol reduces surface bacteria it does not contribute to the prevention of infection, see Dann TC. Routine skin preparation before injection: an unnecessary procedure. Lancet 1969; 2: 96-7

When alcohol wipes are used then there needs to be a 30-60 second rub to remove the top layer of skin, the little wipe with a small swab is really done for the placebo effect.

Touching the needle I would not be happy about unless it was changing the needle, some Drs do this others don't.

Try not to worry.

Sidge Sun 20-Jul-14 09:53:59

I'm a practice nurse and give hundreds of vaccines a year.

It's not common practice to swab the skin for most immunisations. Hands are usually washed before the patient is called in, just before you prepare the vaccine. This is removed from the fridge for a few minutes before giving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now