Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR vaccination for 7month old baby please help!!!

(7 Posts)
Kaymiley Mon 02-Jun-14 19:36:28

Hi I am going on holiday and have been advised for my baby to have the MMR vaccination we are only going to Majorca. She will only be 7 months when given this and they aren't supposed to be due this vaccination till they are one. Has this been advised for anyone else travelling with a baby abroad??

CatherinaJTV Mon 02-Jun-14 22:14:40

MMR has been recommended for babies from 6 months and up in outbreaks - is your doctor's recommendation based on this story?
www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2014/03/ecdc-reports-measles-outbreak-cruise-ship ? I wouldn't know how to find out whether there is still an ongoing outbreak on Mallorca. A quick search only turned up the cruise ship.

EssexMummy123 Mon 02-Jun-14 22:18:54

When you were pregnant they would have tested your immunity to measles, if you were immune then i think your baby is protected for the first year or so - which is why they do it at one here generally and not before. However to be on the safe side they may do it earlier if your in an outbreak earlier.

There's always an option on a single measles jab if your worried about the mmr.

IComeFromALandDownUnder Mon 02-Jun-14 22:24:14

I got it done when dd1 was 7 months as we were going abroad. You need to repeat it at 12 months.

Kaymiley Mon 02-Jun-14 22:30:10

Thank you for your advice think I will go ahead with getting the vaccination.

CatherinaJTV Mon 02-Jun-14 22:55:57

and maternal immunity does NOT last a year - the antibodies passed from mum to baby through the placenta decay with a half life of 3 to 4 weeks, so at best, a 7 months old will have about 2% of the original antibody load - usually not enough to protect from disease.

EssexMummy123 Thu 14-Aug-14 23:14:49

And how many experiments have been done on the effectiveness of the mmr at 7 months? i suspect there's a lot of 'winging it'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now