Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken pox vaccination dilemma

(12 Posts)
iloveyousillybilly Thu 29-May-14 22:09:12

Dd is supposed to start nursery in October and every nursery I've visited so far said they currently have chicken pox going round. Problem is I never had chicken pox as a child and I'm dd's main carer so if she catches it, I'll definitely catch it.

There's no option of keeping her away from me as she is still breastfed and we co-sleep. I'm also concerned about catching it as an adult given all the risks involved, plus Dh works long hours and frankly it'd be miserable if both of us are itchy and feverish with no one to look after us (we have no family in the UK).

I thought to get her vaccinated, but it says there's a risk of infection because it's a live vaccine. So I thought to get myself vaccinated, but it also says that then I'd pass it to her through breastmilk. So I thought to get us both vaccinated but don't know if that is even a solution, anyone have an answer to this dilemma?

I've already asked my GP but she said she had no idea as the vaccine cannot be had on the NHS. All help much appreciated!

Poosnu Thu 29-May-14 22:15:16

If I were you I would get myself vaccinated - it can be really nasty to catch cp as an adult.

So your options would either to vaccinate DD at the same time, or leave her to catch cp naturally. I don't know about the risks of passing the virus through breastmilk.

Or, can you test your own immunity to cp at a private clinic - you might be immune and a vaccine would be unnecessary?

iloveyousillybilly Thu 29-May-14 22:17:36

I know, I really don't want to catch it but don't know the consequences of transferring to her via breastmilk.

With regards to testing immunity, funds are not aplenty, unfortunately. We can just about afford to get us both vaccinated.

Poosnu Thu 29-May-14 22:29:25

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/148515/Green-Book-Chapter-34-v2_0.pdf

The Green book chapter on Varicella vaccination would be worth reading. Breastfeeding doesn't seem to be a contraindication to receiving the vaccine.

You should also consider the risk of having cp while pregnant with another child.

iloveyousillybilly Thu 29-May-14 22:31:47

Thank you so much, reading it now.

Toomanyhouseguests Thu 29-May-14 22:39:39

I think you should have yourself vaccinated. It's now a common vaccine in the USA, so I looked up what the Centre for Disease Control has to say. It seems you only need worry if you are pregnant.
www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/basic-who-needs-vacc.htm

iloveyousillybilly Thu 29-May-14 22:45:23

Amazing, thank you. There seems to be a consensus thus far that it doesn't pass through breastmilk. I think it was a web md article that said it does, so less reliable source in this case.

HornyHandsofToil Thu 29-May-14 22:49:10

You won't catch it via vaccination- it's extremely rare. I was in your situation and my GP arranged it but I did need to pay 100 pounds in advance. There's a slight risk your child may catch it again, but it will be very mild if she does. It's a common vaccine everywhere but UK, it seems.

iloveyousillybilly Thu 29-May-14 23:00:29

Thank you, I was hoping someone who's been through it would come along! GP said I'd have to get it done privately, oh well, I guess both of us will be getting vaccinated then.

ReallyTired Thu 29-May-14 23:09:16

My daughter had the chicken pox vacination as her brother had chicken pox really badly.

The chicken pox vacines is a live vacine so there so there is a small chance you could give your child chickenpox if you choose to be vacinated. When dd was vaccinated we were advised to keep her away from pregnant people or other vunerable people for a brief period.

I think the breatfeeding is a bit of a red herring. If your daughter catches chicken pox then you are very likely to catch it whether you are breastfeeding her or not. There is a an incubation period where your daughter would be infectious and have no symtoms.

HornyHandsofToil Thu 29-May-14 23:36:16

Yes, it was privately but the GP can order it for you through your regular clinic. I was trying to find a private hospital locally and wasn't having any luck, then asked my GP if he knew a private practice in area and he said they could order for me, as long as it was paid in advance.

bumbleymummy Fri 30-May-14 13:40:35

Have you had your immunity tested? You may be immune without knowing. I would get yourself tested and then get the vaccine for yourself if necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now