Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do I go about testing if DD needs the MMR booster?

(7 Posts)
Reastie Fri 23-May-14 20:53:41

DD had an awful reaction to her initial MMR injection. I'm now stressing about her booster, but have read the initial dose is effective for up to 95% of children and the booster is only to make sure it's effective for everyone (so gets those who didn't build up immunity the first time).

I've read that I can pay privately for a "antibody titer" which would tell us whether DD has enough immunity or not (please correct me if I've got this wrong).

So, has anyone done this? How much did it cost? Where on earth do I go for this test? Can't actually find this out on google confused

Thanks thanks

CatherinaJTV Fri 23-May-14 21:17:15

your GP should do this, but it is expensive (I think mine charges £85 per disease - so x3 for M, M and R, actually, I think Rubella titers are a little cheaper) and it requires a blood draw, which is no fun in preschool kids - what did your DD have?

Reastie Sat 24-May-14 07:16:24

hmm thanks catherina I'll go to my gp about it then. DD was really out of sorts and unwell (she's never been that poorly before), she was vomiting, achey, and so ill and it lasted a number of days. She had spots so I assume she had a mild version of measles. I realise a blood test is awkward for a preschooler but tbh I think that a short amount of pain to do it would be preferable to the potential of days of very poorlyness (assuming we find out she is immune.... <crosses fingers>

Madrigals Sat 24-May-14 08:24:42

Reastie if GP won't do this then you can get the antibody tests done at Babyjabs in London.

Madrigals Sat 24-May-14 08:25:29
Madrigals Sat 24-May-14 08:26:24

£125 for all three at Babyjabs.

Reastie Sat 24-May-14 09:52:57

Thanks madrigals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now