Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

8 week vaccinations: General ftm concerns

(12 Posts)

My lg had her first set of vaccinations on Thursday morning, she was VERY upset with her mummy all day Thursday until I gave her a little bit of calpol. She had the biggest paddy I've ever ever seen her have yesterday (though I think it was more to do with being a little overstimulated from a busy day) and she's been really sleepy today. The thing is, my mum told me that being sleepy a couple of days after the injections is normal, but I'm worried (ftm!blush) can I expect her to just be ok, or should I take her to see the doctor on Monday if she's not improved? She doesn't have a fever, the legs aren't red so I'm not worried about that, but she's not a sleepy baby so I'm a bit concerned.
Also, I am still feeling awful for taking her to have them... I may or may not have cried before the nurse even did anything, and my husband had to hold her, oh dear! So for people who have had all the vaccinations done, does it get easier? Because I felt absolutely rotten on Thursday especially sad

CatherinaJTV Mon 19-May-14 15:28:53

hugs - I hope it is all back to normal now?

She seems to be her smiley little self again today bless her, she had colic yesterday or a tummy ache and it was horrible sad but now that's cleared she woke up smiling and chatting again! Very relived grin

gamerchick Mon 19-May-14 18:12:16

There has only ever been once for one child I have been able to take in for jabs. He looked at me with such utter betrayal I felt like the worse mother in the world. Never could do it again, too much of a wuss :D

I'm glad I'm not alone! Oh I felt absolutely terrible and I wasn't even the one holding her! I know it's for the greater good but... Her sad little face and the crying afterwards was awful, I felt like I needed to be locked in mummy prison!

YouAreMyRain Mon 19-May-14 19:05:13

Wait until they are old enough to ask "where are we going mummy?" On their way to their preschool jabs hmm it feels really rubbish.

CatherinaJTV Mon 19-May-14 20:20:37

you can bribe them better at that age though ;)

callamia Mon 19-May-14 20:29:17

It IS hard, and I'd previously had to hold my baby still for a cannula to be put into his foot in nicu, so I thought I was ok with that kind of thing.

Did your daughter also have the d&v drops? They gave my son an awful tummy overnight, then he was fine.

The rotavirus thing? Yeah she had those - wasn't a fan!! She had a funny tummy last night, and less of an appetite until yesterday poor thing, I assumed it was that causing the problem. It must be hard work for their little immune systems sad
@YouAreMyRain It must do - my mum feltreally bad because when I had mine, apparently I announced to the entire doctor's surgery 'I've been spiked!!' haha! At least you can bribe them at that age though I suppose!

LittlePeasMummy1 Tue 20-May-14 11:29:02

It is really hard to take them. The nurse kicked me out at my daughters 1yr vaccs saying 'I don't want two of you in the room blubbing'. She stayed with my hubby and I stood out in the corridor weeping. Needless to say, she cried for about ten seconds and was then fine... Glad your little one is feeling better

coldwater1 Mon 26-May-14 14:25:20

9th baby and i still can't take them for jabs! grin

My husband is taking her on his own next time, I cried before the nurse even did anything lol I am less than useless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now