Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Red swollen leg 4 days after 3rd set of vaccines

(14 Posts)
CookieTramp Tue 06-May-14 11:17:54

I noticed this morning that my 5mo dS2 has a very red leg, with some swelling. He had his 3rd set of jabs on Friday.

They did tell me that a swelling the size of a 50p piece is normal but it does look a bit bigger than that and is quite red.

Should I take him to the doctor? Is this normal? It does not seem to bother him and he is his normal sleepless, puking self :-).

CatherinaJTV Tue 06-May-14 12:15:14

this can happen, especially with third and fourth shots - I would take him in anyway to exclude an infection. Hope it will be better very soon.

bumbleymummy Tue 06-May-14 15:03:01

I would take him to be seen, just in case. You can also report the reaction yourself here.

CatherinaJTV Thu 08-May-14 07:27:12

CookieTramp - how is the leg now?

CookieTramp Fri 09-May-14 05:09:14

Aw, thanks Catherina. Just when the leg was so violently red that I was ready to scoop him up and take him to A&E, it suddenly resolved. And I mean quickly! Within 10 minutes it looked completely normal. Amazing actually!

So all is good in the hood. :-)

CatherinaJTV Fri 09-May-14 08:04:58

whew - I am glad to hear it is all well - maybe there was an allergic component to the reaction - those often just resolve very quickly. In any case, make sure that your doctor has this reaction on file - and thank you for coming back with an update thanks

HolidayCriminal Fri 09-May-14 08:06:23

Reactions are good, it means the immune system was triggered. You don't want terrible side effects, but good to know the vaccine worked.

bumbleymummy Fri 09-May-14 08:22:04

Cookie, I'm glad he's feeling better smile Do report it to your doctor (in case there are any future problems) and use the link above to report it yourself - it's good to make people aware of possible reactions.

Holiday, you may be trying to look on the bright side or something but no, reactions like that are not 'good'. They are a very undesirable side effect.

tabitha8 Fri 09-May-14 12:06:35

If there isn't a reaction, does that mean the vaccine didn't work?

HolidayCriminal Fri 09-May-14 16:21:32

Most of the time it isn't so obvious that the immune system has been triggered (but most of the time it has been triggered, iyswim).

It's fallacy to think that any obvious reactions are bad.

bumbleymummy Fri 09-May-14 16:38:36

hmm

CatherinaJTV Fri 09-May-14 20:31:08

Bumbley - get out the red marker pen - I am with you on this one. It does NOT need a strong local reaction to indicate that a vaccination has worked.

bumbleymummy Sat 10-May-14 00:59:00

grin @ Catherina

tabitha8 Sat 10-May-14 16:27:23

We can usually find out potential side effects of each vaccination, by reading the leaflet in the box. So, is it fair to say that there ought not to be a reaction? There might be, if the child is unlucky, but there really ought not to be? That would make sense to me. I would assume that a vaccine had worked even without a reaction of any kind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now