Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Where to get single jabs?

(47 Posts)
StarChartEsq Thu 10-Apr-14 10:32:47

Measles in particular.

We live close to London.
Tia

PrimalLass Thu 10-Apr-14 10:38:30

Look on the Jabs website. There is a list in there. There is no mumpsvax available however.

StarChartEsq Thu 10-Apr-14 10:40:01

Thank you.

Whattodo3 Thu 10-Apr-14 10:40:51

We took our dc to Baby Jabs clinic in London for all their vaccines.

Its Just off Harley Street.

PrimalLass Thu 10-Apr-14 10:41:01

http://www.jabs.org.uk/single-vaccines.html

SJRO Wed 04-Jun-14 11:58:10

Hi
I am currently looking into the single measles vaccine, as I would prefer my child to have that than the triple vaccine. Did you find a good clinic? And how was your child after the vaccine.

Thanks

spottydolphin Wed 04-Jun-14 11:59:27

bear in mind you can no longer get a single mumps vaccine, so if you want to be covered for that it's MMR only sad

SJRO Wed 04-Jun-14 13:13:50

I know thanks. I was planning to give him the single measels vaccine while he is a toddler and then perhaps the Triple when he is a lot older and more capable of handling a vaccine like that. I find it really unfair that the government take away a parents choice.

CatherinaJTV Thu 05-Jun-14 09:01:56

it is ultimately not the government's choice - it is Merck that has given up making the single vaccines. Since the mumps is overall less effective than the M and R, we might be seeing a change in singles...

SJRO Thu 05-Jun-14 09:16:49

As in they may bring back the singles? I am sure I read somewhere that Merck were fined a lot of money for lying about the efficiency of the mumps component?

CatherinaJTV Thu 05-Jun-14 19:05:57

If mumps outbreaks continue, I could imagine the single mumps coming back. But we are talking a long time frame.

SJRO Thu 05-Jun-14 19:33:22

Thats unfortunate. I didnt realise mumps was becoming an issue again in UK, I actually live in Spain, but have pretty much given up trying to get hold of the single measels vaccine here. Crazy really as its France that produces it so you would think it would be easy....

CatherinaJTV Thu 05-Jun-14 20:31:07

just get the MMR, really, it is not worth the hassle - the MMR is not more dangerous than the Measles alone...

gamerchick Thu 05-Jun-14 20:38:52

It's amazing the amount of people who freak out over a 3 in 1 at 1 but are quite happy to shove a 5 in 1 into a tiny baby grin

judypoops Thu 05-Jun-14 20:40:33

We gave our ds singles for measles and rubella, if they haven't brought out single mumps vax by the time he's 10 we will give him the mmr then. (As mumps especially bad for boys after puberty) we had the vaccines done in East Grinstead. He was a bit miserable afterwards and got a slight rash

SJRO Thu 05-Jun-14 20:48:33

True, except here they don't tell you the side effects and you tend to trust heath care professionals. Its only when you research you find how awful the effects can be. If i had known having paid privately for his vaccines anyway I would have given single ones.

If I had to I would get the 3 in 1 but only when he is older. I worked with someone who told me her son changed over night having the triple mmr, he has Aspergers, I also know someone who's child had a bad reaction to the triple vaccine. So having read into it a lot, I would rather my son had the single vaccine if possible.

allisgood1 Thu 05-Jun-14 20:51:42

I recommend the baby jabs clinic in London.

SJRO Thu 05-Jun-14 20:52:48

Is it possible you could give me the name of the surgery? Did you find them professional, if thats the right word? Thats what I had planned on, doing singles now, triple when old enough to deal with it.

SJRO Thu 05-Jun-14 20:54:54

Thank you, Is Baby jabs the one on Wimpole Street?

gamerchick Thu 05-Jun-14 20:56:16

Of all of that autism bollocks hadn't have happened then it wouldn't be questioned now aside from those who live alternatively.

But whatever as long as you vaccinate.

SJRO Thu 05-Jun-14 21:06:37

True he would just be another kid with autism who happened to get it the same time as a vaccination. However, no matter how small the risk, I am not prepared to take it. I had to pay privately for every vaccination my son has had, if I am paying why cant I have the choice? smile

gamerchick Thu 05-Jun-14 21:15:41

They don't get it all of a sudden yanno.. its something they're born with. I knee mine was autistic right from baby but I only recognised it because I'd had experience.

But as long as they're vaccinated I'm not arsed really.

Andcake Thu 05-Jun-14 21:16:32

I've heard too many examples of kids changing over night that as I have only one ds and am unable to have more I'm freaking out a bit. I doted mmc thinking I would feel calmer now ds is 2 but still scared shitless despite rationally knowing autism link is discredited.
Can anyone explain more about the mums vaccine and mumps and boys at puberty. I assumed he would have to have mar as mums is so dangerous for boys but if that is only after puberty maybe I can have him do the other singles then phone the mumps single comes back before he hits puberty ?

Andcake Thu 05-Jun-14 21:17:45

Obviously 'delayed mmr' worrying that it autocorrected to mmc shows my history sad of posts sad

CatherinaJTV Thu 05-Jun-14 21:30:12

too many examples of kids changing over night

MMR does nothing over night - the vaccine virus needs at least 4 days to get going, usually longer (fever peaks at 9 days). A child changing "over night" after the MMR is the best proof that it was NOT the vaccine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now