Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR to a child of a pregnant woman

(11 Posts)
Caterinas2014 Mon 07-Apr-14 08:42:10

I am 16 weeks pregnant and my son is due for his MMR jab and this is a live vaccine.
I have immunity against Rubella but I'm NOT immune to mumps and measles. These infections are quite dangerous for the unborn baby too.
GP didn't put my mind at ease. He said that there is theoretical possibility that my baby will shed the virus after he will get his shot, but GP THINKS it's going to be fine.
One of my online friends who was not immune to rubella got her MMR shot in the hospital straight after her baby was born. 2 weeks passed and yesterday both her and her newborn were confirmed to have rubella and they are both miserable. I don't know if this is coincidence or not but it happened after the MMR shot.
Any advice would be highly appreciated!

AuntieStella Mon 07-Apr-14 08:52:02

NHS website says that even if a recipient becomes mildly symptomatic after the jab, they are not infectious.

Can you say what region your friend was in when she received the post-natal MMR?

Caterinas2014 Mon 07-Apr-14 09:02:57

Thanks Auntie. All I know is she lives in London.

CatherinaJTV Mon 07-Apr-14 09:23:17

The MMR is NOT EVER contagious from vaccinated child to mother. However, it can be passed from freshly vaccinated mother to nurseling child (because the baby is guzzling a liter of virus-containing fluid a day. There is absolutly no danger in your constellation.

Caterinas2014 Mon 07-Apr-14 10:22:18

Thanks Catherina. Why would nhs doctors make MMR to the nursing mother then?
I'm in constant contact with my child including changing his nappy, kissing, etc plus I'm breastfeeding him and sometimes he bites me and I sometimes have a broken skin on my nipples. I understand that drinking lots of breast mil milk by a newborn is not the same but I honestly can't understand the logic. Measles and mumps are airborne anyway

CatherinaJTV Mon 07-Apr-14 17:41:20

measles and mumps are NOT shed by the vaccinees and transmission has NEVER been documented for those.
Rubella is not as contagious as the two so it does need the milk. The logic is to protect your toddler from measles.

Caterinas2014 Mon 07-Apr-14 22:16:28

They refused any connection between MMR and rubella for both the mother and the child btw. How would they register this transmission in my case? They would just assume I catched the virus outside. Nobody takes any responsibility including GP who refused to say it's completely safe. So the decision is excruciating. I found the thread on mumsnet where OP's DD was refused her MMR because OP's pregnancy , obviously nurse preferred to stay on a safety side. Well there's still time before appointment and I would speak with my lovely midwife when she's back from vacation

Caterinas2014 Tue 08-Apr-14 06:34:14

Thanks everybody. I have made my mind. I will vaccinate my baby with the MMR and hope for the best.

AmandinePoulain Tue 08-Apr-14 06:43:00

Given that toddlers get given an mmr at 13 months and at 3, I would assume that thousands of their mothers must be pregnant, given that plenty of people have a 2-3 year gap between children and I can't say I've ever heard of a case of measles being passed from child to pregnant mother. Is that reassuring?

As an aside, once you aren't pg or bf are you going to get yourself vaccinated?

Caterinas2014 Tue 08-Apr-14 08:29:10

Yes, this is quite reassuring Amandine.
I was not offered mmr for my self before because I'm immune to rubella which is known to be nastiest during pregnancy.
I will think about vaccinating myself after second baby is born and weaned from bf.

sashh Wed 09-Apr-14 18:59:37

Nobody takes any responsibility including GP who refused to say it's completely safe.

They can't.

They are scientists, they deal in facts and nothing is 100% safe.

Do you know you can die from drinking water? Not contaminated water, clean tap water. You have to drink an awful lot but there is a risk there.

On a day to day basis we consider drinking water to be 100% safe, but a scientist will not say that because scientifically it isn't 100% safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now