Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

To anyone against vaccinations

(29 Posts)
NoodleFace Tue 25-Mar-14 07:27:09

Hi everyone,

A woman who contracted polio as a child because her mother didn't vaccinate her did an AMA on reddit, thought it might be appreciated here

It was a very interesting read.

NoodleFace Tue 25-Mar-14 07:28:48

An AMA is an ask me anything, sorry for those who aren't familiar with the site, it's hard to figure out at first, especially on a phone but users of reddit comment with a question below and she answers underneath, hope that helps!

StarChartEsq Thu 10-Apr-14 10:36:09

How do you know she got it because her mother didn't vaccinate her?

How do you know she didn't get it because she wasn't regularly exposed to light forms of it or other immune-boosting diseases due to other people vaccinating?

How do you know she wouldn't have got it if she HAD been vaccinated?

How do you know that given her reaction to exposure of the disease she wouldn't have reacted much worse to the vaccine?

MexicanSpringtime Sun 13-Apr-14 18:03:00

I am not against the polio vaccine, but the only two people I have known who have contracted polio in the last forty years, got it from the vaccine, only in the UAE and the other in Morocco.

Bunbaker Sun 13-Apr-14 18:06:19

"How do you know she didn't get it because she wasn't regularly exposed to light forms of it"

I'm not convinced that being exposed to light forms of it gives you immunity. I am willing to be proved wrong though.

I have met many people who have had polio. All but one of them had not been immunised. The vaccine is no longer a live vaccine and I believe it is safer than ever these days.

specialsubject Mon 05-May-14 14:25:53

reason to comment here is today's BBC news that polio is spreading again - of course it has never been eliminated.

so those who believe in science (which is true whether or not you believe) should make sure they and their children are immunised unless there is a strong medical reason against it.

most of us here don't live in the affected countries. But people travel to and from them.

MexicanSpringtime Wed 14-May-14 03:08:18

Specialsubject: "those who believe in science (which is true whether or not you believe)"

Sorry Special, what is true? The latest theory that will be shot down in ten years time? Science is a method, not a religion or a truth.

specialsubject Sun 15-Jun-14 17:12:30

gravity....photosynthesis...yes, 'methods' like that.

all just theories...

dear oh dear.

science is fact.

caroldecker Sun 15-Jun-14 17:20:30

Science is not fact, science is a method:

1. develop hypothesis (guess)
2. test
3. If results disagree then hypothesis wrong
4. if results agree hypothesis not disproved

AmazingMorning Sun 15-Jun-14 17:24:14

People should stop preaching. Most parents vaccinate. It's a choice.

MexicanSpringtime Sun 15-Jun-14 17:46:35

Ok, so what do you know about gravity? a description, Newton found a way to describe it and a formula for that, then Einstein turned Newton's ideas on their head.

So was Newton a liar?

caroldecker Sun 15-Jun-14 17:54:17

mexican

Twas my point, science does not prove things are true, just that things are not
also Newton's principles were very useful in understanding gravity at the macro level
Science does show that vaccination is, on average, better than non-vaccination for everyone

MexicanSpringtime Sun 15-Jun-14 19:45:47

Science does show that vaccination is, on average, better than non-vaccination for everyone

That is another issue, carol.

Science does not exist in a vacuum. There is huge profits to be made from vaccines and nearly all pharmaceutical scientists depend on finance from the pharmaceutical companies.

Then there is the science community's general resistance to any change in the status quo (the absolute rejection of Ignaz Semmelweiss' discover of the need for doctors to wash their hands in maternity wards)

CatherinaJTV Mon 16-Jun-14 16:29:54

There is huge profits to be made from vaccines

I wonder why there are fewer and fewer companies that invest in vaccines and produce them? The margins, especially for "established" vaccines are not high and there is much more money in other fields.

specialsubject Mon 16-Jun-14 17:30:58

you are shocked at scientists making profits. Scandalous. Everyone should work for free.

the example cited by another poster to show how resistant the 'scientific community is to the status quo is from ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY YEARS AGO.

caroldecker Mon 16-Jun-14 18:43:41

the scientific community is, unfortunately, very resisitent to change - see the reaction to, famously, Einstein or more recently stomach ulcers. This does not mean vaccines are not the right thing to do

MexicanSpringtime Mon 16-Jun-14 20:30:33

No, this part of the discussion certainly does not say anything about vaccines per se.

CatherinaJTV Mon 16-Jun-14 21:03:46

Carol - it took 10 years for the stomach ulcer findings to be accepted and revolutionise the field.

caroldecker Mon 16-Jun-14 21:13:07

That was my point

CatherinaJTV Mon 16-Jun-14 21:15:40

10 years is not a lot of time - Wakefraud has been 16

HermioneWeasley Mon 16-Jun-14 21:19:39

Scientists should work for free. Like all religions, cults and alternative therapists.

specialsubject Mon 16-Jun-14 22:17:52

now I'm really confused!

MexicanSpringtime Tue 17-Jun-14 01:11:36

There are some people either deliberating misunderstanding my post or stupid, and it does not help their cause.

I don't understand why people can't have an intelligent exchange of views on this issue that concerns us all.

caroldecker Tue 17-Jun-14 01:14:47

mexican because you are wrong - and have an agenda - but mainly because you are wrong

MexicanSpringtime Tue 17-Jun-14 02:37:54

an agenda?? as in hidden agenda??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now