Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tetanus jabs. They're not routine are they?

(9 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 11-Mar-14 22:26:46

Ds1 is 8 and off on his first cub camp next month.

Part of the health form that we need to complete prior to him going asks if he's had a tetanus jab in the last 3 years.

He's had all of the recommended vaccines, but nothing since his pre school boosters mention tetanus.

Am I right in thinking that should still cover him?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 11-Mar-14 22:27:20

Not routine to have regularly I mean.

JuniperTisane Tue 11-Mar-14 22:29:18

If he had his preschool booster and all three baby jabs then he's not due another until age 14. There is no reason to have one in between as he is covered.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 11-Mar-14 22:38:23

So even if he had an accident he should still be covered re: tetanus. There should be no need for a booster, that's right isn't it?

I'll happily fill in the form and say that he's not had a tetanus vaccination for 3 years but will give the dates of his 3 sets of baby jabs and the pre school booster. In the event of an emergency, that form will accompany him to hospital so that should show the medics that he's covered.

Thinking about it, if he was rushed to hospital having an unnecessary tetanus jab will probably be the last thing on our minds!

JuniperTisane Tue 11-Mar-14 22:57:07

Yes I think that's right. Silly form.

sashh Sun 23-Mar-14 09:54:17

They probably use the same form for cubs and scouts so it's not relevant for your child, but will be if he carries on in to his teens.

CPtart Sun 23-Mar-14 10:11:46

Agree. If he has his pre-school boosters then not needed until 14 or so, every 10 years.

bumbleymummy Sun 23-Mar-14 18:47:54

CPtart, the new advice is 5 for life - not every 10 years.

CPtart Tue 25-Mar-14 16:46:28

...unless for foreign travel or likelihood of a tetanus prone wound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now