Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone reassure me? DD off to A&E with booster reaction and I'm literally papping it.

(12 Posts)

DD3 had her pre school boosters 9 days ago. She had a small patch of raised rash on each of her hips at around day three. Today she has developed huge hives all down her trunk, under her chin, armpits, bottom. I watched them grow and spread visibly within minutes and gave her a dose of piriton syrup to no effect. Then her left eyelid started to go puffy and swell sad

DH has whipped her along to A&E just now. She seems happy and chatty if a little pale, but I am worried about how quickly it escalated and frankly, shitting myself.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know what they will do at A&E? I'm panicking in case it develops into a severe reaction. I just want to be with her but I have 3 other DC asleep in bed sad

Hawkmoth Fri 28-Feb-14 22:17:10

Poor thing, and how scary for you. My DD gets scary viral rashes, but they never reached her eyelids. Fingers crossed it will get sorted soon x

TinyDiamond Fri 28-Feb-14 22:22:54

Poor you lot. sending strength. This happened to us with 13.month mmr jab at 9 days too. a&e and anyone in the hospital will swear blind that it is nothing to do with the jabs and is totally unrelated.

They will probably say viral rash.

Let us know how they get on. wine

Thanks, it's very scary! How did they treat your DC Tiny? I really hope they don't try and say it's viral, it so obviously isn't! I've had 3 older DC have the jabs with no trouble and DD sailed through her first lot so I'm mystified as to why this one has been troublesome.

TinyDiamond Fri 28-Feb-14 23:00:17

Basically she was presenting with measles and got ill quite quickly over the space of an afternoon. We went to the GP who called the hosp and sent us straight there!

However every medical professional we saw denied it was the injection that had caused it. After a few hours she was admitted into a cot on childrens ward but then late at night we were discharged as she seemed better and skin had improved a lot. I think they wanted the bed. They did not give any meds but I did bathe her to cool her down. As she was still eating they were happy that she was fine and she was still breastfeeding then so was hydrated. it took a while for her to be back to normal. At least a couple of weeks.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 28-Feb-14 23:07:23

Unusual to be having worsening symptoms 9 days later. Has she eaten anything unusual tonight she might be allergic to? You're not in the East Midlands are you, there's an outbreak of scarlet fever?

Hope she's home soon.

phoolani Fri 28-Feb-14 23:08:54

If it's any help, we once took dd to a&e with a vicious rash covering her entire body which came on and covered her in about 1-2 hours. But, like yours, she was essentially fine within herself - and it was that that convinced the doctor that she was actually fine (which she was). Rashes, viral or otherwise can look astoundingly, awfully bad but if she seems ok otherwise, chances are she'll be fine.

Thanks Tiny that's reassuring! Glad she improved so quickly!

No Viva that was the first thing I thought but we pretty much ruled it out. I gave her a bath in case it was anything she had gotten on her skin too. I was half expecting a bit of measles rash as per the advice they give at the clinic but it really looks nothing like measles. I agree though, very odd for this to happen 9 days later.

We're in Aberdeenshire, going to check for news of anything going round here though!

phoolani you were spot on smile she is on the way home now! We need to keep giving piriton and keep a close eye. DD had a whale of a time and DH says the waiting room was like a kids party without the cake grin

Thanks all for dragging me down from the ceiling earlier. Feeling much calmer now. thanks

phoolani Sat 01-Mar-14 11:48:03

Very glad to hear it!

frankiebuns Thu 27-Mar-14 10:31:48

My son has just had his boosters and my god the reaction was instant he scared everyone at the clinic for 20 mins, but the nurse did warns us with mmr jab u can get a delayed reaction and looks ofchild going down with measles or mumps upto 4 weeks after jabs, he never reacted to first lot but they think it was tetanus reaction like he's got too much in his body I was like that when I had my booster. I'm told I'm never to have another one even if I do get biten by a dog etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now