Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Rhogam vaccine risks

(10 Posts)
Beaaware Wed 08-Jan-14 08:29:09

www.rhogam.com/Patient/Pages/default.aspx

information on the risks which includes vCJD

CatherinaJTV Wed 08-Jan-14 14:57:19

sure, I also risk getting hit by a meteor when I go outside.

Rhogam is not a vaccine, it is an antiserum to prevent a Rhesus-negative mother to make antibodies against her rhesus-positive child. That is a good thing. There is no alternative if you are Rh- and your baby daddy is Rh+ (apart from maybe if you are 100% sure that you will never ever have another).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rh_disease

LurcioLovesFrankie Wed 08-Jan-14 15:22:37

2 out of 3 of my sister's children were badly affected by a rhesus reaction after birth - the 3rd had to be resuscitated, damn near died and spent weeks in intensive care.

Scare mongering about drugs which can prevent that happening is bloody irresponsible if you ask me.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 08-Jan-14 15:26:47

All drugs carry risks! But when the risk of not having something is sooooo serious then benefits out way any minute possibility of an adverse reaction.

JackNoneReacher Wed 15-Jan-14 21:51:24

Thanks for the link.

How is sharing information from the manufacturers scaremongering Lurcio?

Despite the risks (that are openly acknowledged) even women with a rh- partner have this forced upon them. They don't need it and should be aware they are taking the risk for no benefit.

CatherinaJTV Wed 15-Jan-14 22:15:33

"forced upon them" hmm

I don't think enough people realise how bloody lucky pregnant women are today that they have the chance to have healthy children even when they are Rh- and their children's father Rh+

JackNoneReacher Thu 16-Jan-14 14:49:14

I think you're probably right, lots of people probably don't realise how many babies are saved by this.

But that doesn't excuse the unnecessary risk of giving it to women who don't need it. And yes, midwives insist that women have it even if the Father is -ve. Presumably in case the Mother is uncertain who the Father is.

I know this from personal experience and also know that some midwives are uncomfortable with this. Esp as the practice of giving it during pregnancy as well as after labour is relatively new.

Kendodd Thu 16-Jan-14 14:51:52

A midwife (or doctor) can't 'insist' you have anything.

CatherinaJTV Thu 16-Jan-14 17:24:32

what Kendodd says and while it might come over as offensive if the midwife says "just in case (wink)", it might save the odd life. I did my MRes in a Human Genetics and Genetic Counselling Department and the rate of mothers and grandmothers who would pull the doctor aside and whisper "if any mutation turns up in my husband's DNA, we won't need to worry about the baby" was amazingly high. You can turn down anything if you are 100% sure and the expressed offer of the midwife might allow many women to save face in front of their partners while doing what is best for their baby.

JackNoneReacher Thu 16-Jan-14 19:49:17

We all know that KenDodd but many, many women don't (you only have to read the Pregnancy and childbirth threads here to know that) and will be taking an unnecessary risk without being informed properly.

I was very grateful for the jab after I had my rh+ve baby. I just don't believe in blanket medication. Someone may save face but someone may react adversely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now