Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have any of you suffered any kind of side effects from a 'flu jab?

(22 Posts)
normalishdude Tue 07-Jan-14 11:15:32

Cheers!

CatherinaJTV Tue 07-Jan-14 19:15:08

nope, nothing ever apart from a painful injection site for a couple of days - and even that for most years.

CatherinaJTV Tue 07-Jan-14 19:15:45

not even that... sigh - I want an edit function on mumsnet, please...

slalomsuki Tue 07-Jan-14 19:19:42

Yes a very swollen arm for 3 weeks covering shoulder to elbow resulting in steroids to take the swelling down and some mild cold symptoms.

stargirl1701 Tue 07-Jan-14 19:20:11

Nope, just a sore arm.

WaitingForPeterWimsey Tue 07-Jan-14 19:22:24

Yes - hard discoloured lump from jab 4 years ago which showed up in my wedding photos 2 months later shock

But have also had the jab in at least 4 other years without any problems!

slalomsuki Tue 07-Jan-14 19:23:39

Funnily enough waiting my reaction was 4 years ago also.

CatherinaJTV Tue 07-Jan-14 19:30:22

was that the first H1N1 vaccine?

WaitingForPeterWimsey Tue 07-Jan-14 19:44:54

Cat it was 2009.

WaitingForPeterWimsey Tue 07-Jan-14 19:45:16

Winter 2009.

Frenchplait Tue 07-Jan-14 19:54:10

Yes, I had flu symptoms this year, 5 days after the jab. First time I've had the flu immunisation. Maybe it was a coincidence but the only time I have felt as unwell was when I had flu 16 years ago.

legoplayingmumsunite Tue 07-Jan-14 19:56:14

I felt slightly light headed after having mine but I think that's at least psychosomatic because we were told that might happen. My officemates were both fine.

normalishdude Fri 10-Jan-14 08:55:44

thanks all, I felt maybe a bit tired but that was it.

arkestra Fri 17-Jan-14 22:20:04

Yes. I didn't get flu. It was terrible.

mousmous Fri 17-Jan-14 22:22:39

apart from a small bruise at the injection site I had joint pains one year. but only lasted a few hours.

Had the jab for the last four years, no side effects apart from an achey arm (changing gears when driving hurt a bit for a couple of days) and minor soreness at injection site. Much better than getting flu - only had it once and never ever want it again!

nulgirl Fri 17-Jan-14 22:37:06

My arm was a bit sore for a few days but no other symptoms - oh and the fact that I haven't had flu any of the years that I got the jab.

mewkins Sat 18-Jan-14 09:50:58

I had mine yesterday and felt awful last night. Very achey and swollen glands. Still have horrible headache now but not aching anymore. Still, I guess better a few hours of feeling like that rather thsn two weeks ofit with actual flu.

AmberLeaf Sat 18-Jan-14 09:55:14

Not me, but my mum.

she had it because she is immunosuppressed.

8-10 weeks of feeling dreadful. flu symptoms. cough etc.

She no longer has it.

My teen DD refuses to have them, says the make her arm hurt and her feel grotty to the extent she finds it hard to sleep for about 5 days.

Since she had her three cervical cancer vaccinations with out moaning at all, I tend to believe her.

Kundry Sat 18-Jan-14 10:11:34

Sore arm, once felt a bit fluey. Then I got the flu the year I didn't have one.

Frankly the jab was have to cause A LOT of side effects to be worse than that experience so now I'm always first in the queue each year.

bumbleymummy Sat 18-Jan-14 10:21:00

I haven't had flu for years and I've never had the flu jab. Not having the jab doesn't mean you will get flu. Also worth remembering that flu isn't always serious. Look how many people had swine flu mildly - some without even knowing they had it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now