Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu vaccine - big red mark normal?!

(11 Posts)
Nessalina Wed 18-Dec-13 23:13:17

I had my flu vaccine yesterday morning, and my arm has been much more sore than usual (I get it every year as I have asthma). There's a big red circle around the vaccine site which is probably about 3 inches across and is hot to the touch, but I feel fine in myself - is this normal?!
I'm on the app, but will try & work out how to post a picture!

superzero Wed 18-Dec-13 23:17:20

Although most people don't react like that,it is an expected side effect.If you are otherwise well I wouldn't worry too much.

Nessalina Wed 18-Dec-13 23:18:48

Photo posted to profile smile

Nessalina Wed 18-Dec-13 23:24:53

Thanks Super - it just seems a bit ridiculous! shock

sashh Thu 19-Dec-13 11:34:26

I had that this year but not in others, must be the strain in it this year.

Nessalina Fri 20-Dec-13 22:43:35

Still there. Itching like mad!! Pharmacist recommended antihistamine cream, so been slapping that on! Apparently it's a 'worse that average' reaction, but won't kill me. hmm

superzero Fri 20-Dec-13 23:14:23

nessalina I've looked at your pictures.If it is really itchy oral antihistamine like Piriton might help.

Nessalina Fri 20-Dec-13 23:40:48

Thanks, that's what the chemist said, but because I already take Cetirizine daily for dust allergy, I couldn't take that on top (plus potential drowsiness issue), so the cream was the next best thing. Wasn't itching until I tried the cream, so I'm telling myself that's it healing... Right?! confused

Nessalina Fri 20-Dec-13 23:50:13

Have added further photo update smile

bumbleymummy Sun 22-Dec-13 10:10:13

Have you reported it using the yellow card scheme ?

Jolay100 Sun 16-Feb-14 11:17:43

Work in a health care setting and loads of my colleagues had this this year after the annual flu vaccine campaign this year. Some worse than others All settled within a few days. Normal reaction I'd say

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now