Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu vaccine for 4yr old

(6 Posts)
Fairy7 Fri 08-Nov-13 16:55:22

Am having some trouble understanding why it is that 2-3 year olds can receive the flu vaccine (nasal spray) but a 4 yr old cannot? Does it mean that a 4 yr olds immune system is more advanced than a 3 yr old? Also I live in Hampshire and am struggling to find a private clinic or GP surgery that will let me pay to get my 4 yr old have the vaccine, does anyone know of any places that offer this service to a healthy 4 yr old? I believe that the NHS are offering this vaccine to children who are over 3 in some areas of the country but don't understand why this is. Perhaps another question of putting a price on children's lives! Apologies for the rant but am slightly fed up of being told No!

nextphase Fri 08-Nov-13 20:30:03

Think they are just starting to roll it out.
Areas older ones being vaccinated are, i think, being used as a comparison to see the cost benefit (harsh, but thats how the NHS work).
Have you looked at traditional flu vaccs for your 4 year old?
NHS prioritise, so elderly, immune compromised, lung issues etc, but work have just offered us all one, and I think I saw ASDA offering them for £7.shot. Don't know if they would take a 4 yr old? Boots may also do flu clinics?

HappyCria Fri 08-Nov-13 20:36:58

2-3 year olds and some school children are getting it this year. It is being piloted like this to try and get the logistics right.
Next year it will be offered to all children.

missmapp Fri 08-Nov-13 20:38:35

Ds2 has had the traditional flu jab since 3 yrs old ( he has a congenital heart defect) and has been fine. I pay for ds1 to have this at Boots and he has always been fine.

Fishandjam Fri 08-Nov-13 20:43:35

Our surgery offered DS (who will be 4 in Dec) either the nasal spray or the jab. The nurse advised that the jab was more effective, so that's what I chose. DS is an ordinary healthy child so I'm assuming that our surgery was offering it to all kids on its books. But I don't know the details!

arkestra Tue 12-Nov-13 22:54:03

It's a pilot scheme. They are sorting out the mechanics of getting Fluenz administered and will then roll it out on an annual basis to all pre-16 kids nationally; that is the target.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now